Daytona Disaster

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Daytona Disaster

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike

Ouch.  At least the crank stopped rather than a rod big end locking up and sending it on a windmilling tour of the block.  That's about the only 'bright side' I can come up with!

wwwboard

Re: Daytona Disaster

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Colin

An acquaintance of mine has a WWII P-51 Mustang fighter plane, and IT lost oil pressure right after  takeoff once.  He got it back on the ground OK, but a rod had broken in the Merlin V12, whipped around and almost cut the block in half.  He said it kept running, albeit quite roughly, until he was able to turn it around and land.

I feel so bad for the Daytona guy, but if I saw zero oil pressure in any of my cars ever, you would see a blur which would be my hand reaching out to switch off the ignition.  In an airplane, I guess that's not a viable option, though!
Colin
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Adams

This may be of some help.

Henry Velasco  of velasco cranks in Downey, CA  has the CNC pattern for the ferrari V12s.  He cuts the cranks out of solid steel billets, just like the factory. His cranks are among the best in the high performance industry.

As I recall, the price wasn't too bad

Velasco's Billet Crankshafts
12422 Benedict Ave.
Downey, CA 90242
(310) 862-3110
(310) 803-1221 FAX

If my Daytona's crank were gone, this is where I would go.

I think I'll go check the oil.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Just a couple questions: What did the guy do about his Merlin? Isn't that just about the only thing that could be worse than losing a Ferrari or Lamborghini motor? What kind of cost are we talking for a rebuild (or did he decide to turn the Mustang into a "static display" for health reasons)?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Just a couple questions: What did the guy do about his Merlin? Isn't that just about the only thing that could be worse than losing a Ferrari or Lamborghini motor? What kind of cost are we talking for a rebuild (or did he decide to turn the Mustang into a "static display" for health reasons)?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Thom,he owner is VERY lucky. Although a new block could be stamped to match, it would technically be wrong (moralistically speaking), but luckily he didn't have to go there. So far, everything looks repairable.

If it only took five minutes for the engine to seize, we'll have to really scan those gauges every few minutes!

Tom
wwwboard

It was rebuilt...........

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Colin

When I met the guy, the motor had already been rebuilt with a new block and the plane was flying again.  Since they are used for air racing and hydroplane racing, Merlins aren't as unobtanium as you'd think, but the costs are obviously mind boggling.
Colin
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Colin

When I met the guy, the motor had already been rebuilt with a new block and the plane was flying again.  Since they are used for air racing and hydroplane racing, Merlins aren't as unobtanium as you'd think, but the costs are obviously mind boggling.
Colin
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Colin

Colin
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jonathon

Hi Guys,

If you ever want to see the inside of a Merlin, here is a shop which specializes in rebuilding/tuning:

http://www.mysteryaire.com/

Some great pictures there.

Cheers,
jonathon
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jonathon

Hi Guys,

If you ever want to see the inside of a Merlin, here is a shop which specializes in rebuilding/tuning:

Cheers,
jonathon
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jonathon

Hi Guys,

Cheers,
jonathon
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Ashburne

Ouch!  I wonder if this Thom is the same Tom I see on Saturday mornings at the New Canaan Racquet Club and driving in and around New Canaan with a red/tan 1972 Daytona.  Beautiful car and he is not afraid to drive it in the rain.

Sad story about a gallant effort to keep going in order to keep a date dry!

I'm the guy with the silver/black 400i.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi John,

Sounds like the same car, only now she's sittn' a little high in the front!

Hey, with all these local Ferraris, lets get together for a drive in the CT back roads when the weather gets nice!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi John,

Sounds like the same car, only now she's sittn' a little high in the front!

Hey, with all these local Ferraris, lets get together for a drive in the CT back roads when the weather gets nice!

Tom