Ferrari 308 window motors

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Ferrari 308 window motors

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Phil Pavone

I want to install new window motors in my 308, does anyone  know the procedure?
wwwboard

Re: Ferrari 308 window motors

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bill Sebestyen

Phil, you might want to check out:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messa ... 1017534600

There's been a lot of discussion on this issue over the last year.  Bill
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Lee Cain

Interesting, replacing the motor because the window is slow???
I had a similar problem in our old Suburban, one of the windows was very slow, replaced the motor & it didn't get any better. One day, after a couple of beers, we sprayed the window tracks with silicon. damned if the window didn't move up & down like it was some kind of carnival ride!
Might be worth a try??

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Lee,

Not to start a discussion on 308s on this list, but 308 electric windows are notoriously problematic, and I'd imagine the same would go for ANY electric window in a Ferrari (notice how I'm steering the converstion back to vintage cars?)

What happens is the grease the factory used gets old and hardens, and where it was supposed to lubricate, it now binds. The marginally designed motors soon burn out, and Ferrari mechanics around the world benefit from this failure. If your windows are sluggish, and your motors are still working, I'd clean the old grease out, and replace it with a modern grease that will last much longer.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Adam

Another cause of sluggish power windows is often the switch/wiring itself. I'm speaking with Alfa experience here, but I presume this relates to most older Italian cars with power windows. In older Alfa's the current flows directly through the door switch then to the window motor. By introducing a relay into the circut and using the door switch to only activate the relay, full current can be directed to the window motor with no voltage drop, giving your windows the most chance of working when you actually want them to.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Phil Pavone

What relay can you put in? The window switches that are in the Ferrari work by reversing the polarity to go up and down.Even by using two standard relays for each window won't work, because there is no ground for the window motor ???
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bill Sebestyen

Phil,
The following link shows a schematic using 4-relays, courtesy of Mike Tarrant:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/21/606.html

You need to scroll down a bit to get to the schematic.