400 starter motor replacement

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

400 starter motor replacement

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

My 400 is getting very difficult to start when hot. Turn the key and nothing. No click, just a drain registering on the ammeter. I guess it is nearly time for a starter/solenoid rebuild. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to remove the starter and what needs to be done to remove it?

Simon in London
77 400 auto
wwwboard

Re: 400 starter motor replacement

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Charlie Dodge

I once had a Triumph TR6.  While cruising a local junkyard looking for parts, I came across a VW rabbit that had just come in.  It was unusual in that there appeared to be nothing wrong with it.  A local used car dealer had taken it back from a customer who complained that it would start in the morning but would not turn over after a long trip.  The exhaust system had recently been replaced and a conscientious mechanic had not replaced the starter heat shield.  I purchased the car for $100, added a shield, and drove it for years.  Could you be having the same problem?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Thanks for this but unfortunately the heat shield is in place and all the wiring connections are OK.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Thanks for this but unfortunately the heat shield is in place and all the wiring connections are OK.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Simon,

O.K., straight from the expert, Francois, the starter comes out from the top after the air filter comes off, and the exhaust headers. Once the headers are out, you should be able to get to the wiring. He doesn't think the carbs need to come out (is your car injected?), but you know how Ferraris are! GOOD LUCK!...and say a few good curses for me!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Simon,

O.K., straight from the expert, Francois, the starter comes out from the top after the air filter comes off, and the exhaust headers. Once the headers are out, you should be able to get to the wiring. He doesn't think the carbs need to come out (is your car injected?), but you know how Ferraris are! GOOD LUCK!...and say a few good curses for me!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Thanks for asking Francois, Tom. Much appreciated.

I was hoping to get it out without removing the headers. I only put new headers on it 4-5 weeks ago - I new I should have rebuilt the starter motor then but decided that it was OK. I guess the new headers are giving out more heat in this area, probably because they are not covered in rust.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Thanks for asking Francois, Tom. Much appreciated.

I was hoping to get it out without removing the headers. I only put new headers on it 4-5 weeks ago - I new I should have rebuilt the starter motor then but decided that it was OK. I guess the new headers are giving out more heat in this area, probably because they are not covered in rust.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Simon,

You're welcome. Look on the bright side at least nothing should be seized, and you've had the practice!

I don't think the new headers radiate more heat. Your starter would have needed it anyway, but when you tempt fate...

Are your new headers ceramic coated? Although I don't know if this actually works, but their literature states it can decrease the amount of radiant heat dissipated through their coatings. I had mine coated to give myself the best chance of keeping the engine compartment temps down. Something to think about.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Simon,

You're welcome. Look on the bright side at least nothing should be seized, and you've had the practice!

I don't think the new headers radiate more heat. Your starter would have needed it anyway, but when you tempt fate...

Are your new headers ceramic coated? Although I don't know if this actually works, but their literature states it can decrease the amount of radiant heat dissipated through their coatings. I had mine coated to give myself the best chance of keeping the engine compartment temps down. Something to think about.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Simon,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

No, mine are just stainless steel. The ceramic coating is not so popular here in the UK. I did put some heat reflective tape on the adjacent chassis tubes, starter solenoid and starter wiring (but this either doesn't work or is preventing the solenoid from cooling down quickly enough after a run - I won't be replacing this).

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

No, mine are just stainless steel. The ceramic coating is not so popular here in the UK. I did put some heat reflective tape on the adjacent chassis tubes, starter solenoid and starter wiring (but this either doesn't work or is preventing the solenoid from cooling down quickly enough after a run - I won't be replacing this).