400i battery drain

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: 400i battery drain

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Dr. Ian levy

This is a  very  small electronic battery charger  made by Airflow in the UK which is kept permanently connected to your battery when the car or battery is not in use. Simlar to a trickle charger it measures about 4" x 3" x2".The electronics detect the state of charge  of your battery & adjust the rate  of charge without cooking your battery.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Andre,

In the U.S. there are a couple of good products. They are sold as "battery tenders" where they are plugged into an electrical outlet all the time. Their circutry turns them off when the battery is fully charged, and does not boil away the acid.

I think Ferrari went to 2 alternators because of the electrical demands of the cooling fans (over 30 amps) and the A/C. Leave it to Italian engineering to use two smaller alternators, rather than one powerful hi amp unit! Maybe they had already purchased the low amp units, and needed to use them up!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Andre,

In the U.S. there are a couple of good products. They are sold as "battery tenders" where they are plugged into an electrical outlet all the time. Their circutry turns them off when the battery is fully charged, and does not boil away the acid.

I think Ferrari went to 2 alternators because of the electrical demands of the cooling fans (over 30 amps) and the A/C. Leave it to Italian engineering to use two smaller alternators, rather than one powerful hi amp unit! Maybe they had already purchased the low amp units, and needed to use them up!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bryan P

Tom is right re: the reason why Ferrari went to 2 alternators (electrical demands) - they actually started this practice on the 365GT2+2s in 1969 or 1970 when the dinoplex ignition units started showing up on these cars. . .

Bryan
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bryan P

Tom is right re: the reason why Ferrari went to 2 alternators (electrical demands) - they actually started this practice on the 365GT2+2s in 1969 or 1970 when the dinoplex ignition units started showing up on these cars. . .

Bryan
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Ferrari fitted two alternators to the 400i whilst the previous 400 had a single one. I guess the A/C, two cooling fans, ventilation fans, wipoers and lights could all prove too much for a single unit so they upgraded it in 1979 to two units when the 400i came out.

Have you got two fitted?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Ferrari fitted two alternators to the 400i whilst the previous 400 had a single one. I guess the A/C, two cooling fans, ventilation fans, wipoers and lights could all prove too much for a single unit so they upgraded it in 1979 to two units when the 400i came out.

Have you got two fitted?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Have you got two fitted?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by andre

Yes i do.Just wondering in case one goes out, I have four wheel trunk that has a lot of lights thats push with a 100 amp alternator is it possible to use one alternator if the output is sufficent.