400i battery drain

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

400i battery drain

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by dre

after setting up for 3 days our more, the battery goes completely dead, i took it to the mechanic to check the alternater and battery , he could not find any thing wrong. does any one have the same problems,if so how did you correct it. &nbsp
wwwboard

Re: 400i battery drain

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Andrew

Hi dre,

I have the same problem with my 400, the only way I can get round this is to use a cut out switch for the batery power, ie. when I'm done playing with the car I flick a switch in the engine bay and all the power dies!, the only side effect is that the times always wrong on the clock!!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Maybe the boot light or glove box lightis on, or the under bonnet light is on (unlikely). The radio memory, clock and any alarm will drain the battery. Try taking the fuses out one by one and seeing which circuit is taking current using a multimeter. Mine did this, I fitted a new battery and all was OK - my battery was just worn out. On the workshop bench it held a charge, but on the car and supplying the clock and radio memory it went flat within a week.

Doesn't a 400i have two alternators? Did your mechanic check both?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Dr. Ian Levy

Suggest you use an Airflow battery conditioner, or similar.
In the UK costs about £40. You never suffer the frustration of a flat battery & the electronics in the unit always keeps the battery at peak charge without cooking it.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Your clock can keep time?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Your clock can keep time?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Even with my battery out, my clock is right two times a day!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Even with my battery out, my clock is right two times a day!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Couch

the easy way to narrow down the circuit where your drain occurs is to put a pen type circuit tester between the battery ground terminal on the battery and the actual ground strap.  If any juice is flowing the light will be on.  Then just pull fuses until the light goes out, thats your suspect circuit.  Good luck!

JC

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Ashburne

I'm assuming that you have checked your battery and it can hold a charge when it is disconnected from the car's circuits.

Use a multi-meter to check for the amount of passive current that is being drawn.  Some is drawn for the clock and the radio memory, but that is about it.  If the number of milli-amps drops suddenly when you start pulling fuses, that will identify the circuit with the draw.  Maybe you'll be lucky and it will be a light in the trunk or something similar.

3 days is far too short for the battery to go flat under normal conditions.  

Also, I think it may be possible  that there could be a defective diode in one of the alternators causing the drain.  

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by andre

what is a air flow battery conditioner

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by andre

what is a air flow battery conditioner

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by andre

why does a 400i need two alternaters

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by andre

why does a 400i need two alternaters

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Dr. Ian levy

This is a  very  small electronic battery charger  made by Airflow in the UK which is kept permanently connected to your battery when the car or battery is not in use. Simlar to a trickle charger it measures about 4" x 3" x2".The electronics detect the state of charge  of your battery & adjust the rate  of charge without cooking your battery.