black wrinkle finish

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

black wrinkle finish

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Richard

I restore Ferrari air boxes for CND Enterprises for a few years now. Be sides painting them ,I also Have the artwork to silkscreen the top with the Farrari's name. I  been using Eastwood paint for sometime now.  I have a large oven and heat the part up to 180f and spray two coats.  But, the last few time the paint has not been working as well.  I there something better?
wwwboard

Re: black wrinkle finish

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Dr. Ian levy

Richard,
Suggest you go down the message board about February last year. Deane Gardner asked questions about wrinkle finish & there were at least 20 follow ups
Regards
Ian levy
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Richard,

You are in luck! I just received some samples of VHT brand wrinkle paint to try out after their rep. heard about my dissatisfaction with Eastwood. As the weather warms up, we'll give it a shot, and you'll see the results!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

Many years ago, a friend recommended paint from Illinois Bronze.  Almost impossible to find but it produced a nice fine grained wrinkle.  Even heating seems to be one of the keys to success.    tim
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Tim,

The Eastwood stuff produced a fine grained wrinkle, but Francois remembers the original wrinkle finish as being much coarser, so that's why we're still looking for a better paint.

Does anyone have valve covers with original paint that can confirm the coarsness of the texture? I believe even the modern Ferraris have a pretty coarse texture on the valvecovers that still use this type of finish.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

My valve covers are original.  Would a photo do?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

My valve covers are original.  Would a photo do?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Tom,

What condition is the paint? Most old valve covers show quite a lot of wear where the texture of the paint is often worn flat. I also beleive the exposure to grease and gasoline doesn't help.

If it's in good shape, you ned to take the pics with some "side lighting" to really show off the texture. If this is too "technical" I'll try to find somme original valve covers to shoot when I do my article on the wrinkle paint. Thanks!

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Tom,

What condition is the paint? Most old valve covers show quite a lot of wear where the texture of the paint is often worn flat. I also beleive the exposure to grease and gasoline doesn't help.

If it's in good shape, you ned to take the pics with some "side lighting" to really show off the texture. If this is too "technical" I'll try to find somme original valve covers to shoot when I do my article on the wrinkle paint. Thanks!

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

Tom,
I also have a set of original valve covers with the wrinkle in perfect shape the texture is unlike most that I see either from paint cans or powder coating shops I can email a picture if you would like
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Zac,

If you feel that the original texture has been preserved, send me the pics. See if you can side light them to accentuate the texture. Using a camera mounted flash will obliterate the texture.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

Hi Tom,
here are four pictures I did the best I could with lighting I even left some dust on them to help with contrast. note the accelerator pedistal had to be powder coated and that is the typical texture you see.
Zac
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... cc957d.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... cc9575.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... cc9576.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... cc9573.jpg