Build Sheet Search

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Build Sheet Search

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

After a month of submitting my build sheet request at www.ferrari.owners.com and being told that my car had not been entered yet, I got the message that Ferrari does not have them.  Anybody else (other then Kerry!) have any luck here?  I know Lee was trying as well.  How about you Tom?
wwwboard

Re: Build Sheet Search

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hi Tom,

Uh not that I don't have faith in the Italian way of record keeping, but...
Since I have the original Bill of sale to my car, and the Bill of Lading, I'm not too concerned with hunting for more information before that point. If the process becomes easier, I may give it a shot, but, so far, it seems like a lot of work to get nothing! I think I'll wait.

Now if anyone knew a Ellen W. Cohen, of Scarsdale, NY in the sixites that owned a dark red 330 America, I'd be VERY interested!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

Actually, the process is now pretty easy.  All you have to do is enter your serial number, which Kerry says has to have a "0" in front of it and "gt " following (ie: 04247gt" for my car).  After that, I think they show it immediately in an Adobe Acrobat format, though I have no way of actually proving that!

They still want your transmission number, the differential number and a few other goodies for a certificate of authenticity, but not for the build sheets.  Of course, if they don't have my build sheets, how will they know that I have the proper parts?  Maybe I will try if I can ever figure out what the numbers are on my differential...
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

Actually, the process is now pretty easy.  All you have to do is enter your serial number, which Kerry says has to have a "0" in front of it and "gt " following (ie: 04247gt" for my car).  After that, I think they show it immediately in an Adobe Acrobat format, though I have no way of actually proving that!

They still want your transmission number, the differential number and a few other goodies for a certificate of authenticity, but not for the build sheets.  Of course, if they don't have my build sheets, how will they know that I have the proper parts?  Maybe I will try if I can ever figure out what the numbers are on my differential...
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

I have the build sheet files from three cars 8617, 8755, 8855) now.  So the system does work.  The latest request was submitted on Saturday and the file was available today (Tuesday AM).

But you do need to have all of the numbers and clear pictures of them to submit the request.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Steve

I think Tom Yang has the right idea on the build sheets.Try again in a few years. Here is the response I received on the request of my build sheet s/n 3733:

The build sheet for your car has not been digitised since it is practically illegible. However we are considering the possibility of putting up for sale directly a copy of the original build sheet - in future. We do not know at the moment when this possibility will be made concrete.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

OK.  I went to the site and entered Kerry's number to see how it differed from mine.  When I enter mine, it says they regret to inform me that they do not have the build sheet.  When I entered Kerry's, it took me to another web page that requested all the numbers (and photos of them) in order to get the build sheet.  How it actually gets to you from there I do not know.

So Kerry, was it worth it?  Did you learn anything from the build sheets?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

OK.  I went to the site and entered Kerry's number to see how it differed from mine.  When I enter mine, it says they regret to inform me that they do not have the build sheet.  When I entered Kerry's, it took me to another web page that requested all the numbers (and photos of them) in order to get the build sheet.  How it actually gets to you from there I do not know.

So Kerry, was it worth it?  Did you learn anything from the build sheets?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

Well, there's not a whole lot of new things there.  You do get to find out what wheels and tires were on the car initially.  The dynometer page is somewhat interesting as it has the torque output at various rpms.  And my car had higher numbers than Lowell Brown's, so he was bummed about that.

There are dates when various things happened during the build process.

So all in all, I think it was worth the effort to take the pictures, etc. for the build sheets.

But really, the heritage certificate looks a lot nicer that the build sheets and you don't have to take any pictures, just be able to see the numbers.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

Well, there's not a whole lot of new things there.  You do get to find out what wheels and tires were on the car initially.  The dynometer page is somewhat interesting as it has the torque output at various rpms.  And my car had higher numbers than Lowell Brown's, so he was bummed about that.

There are dates when various things happened during the build process.

So all in all, I think it was worth the effort to take the pictures, etc. for the build sheets.

But really, the heritage certificate looks a lot nicer that the build sheets and you don't have to take any pictures, just be able to see the numbers.