250 GTE Keys

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

250 GTE Keys

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

Newbie Alert!  Newbie Alert!

Could anyone share with me:  

How to find the right blanks and get a set of keys made for my '63 250 GTE (SN 4573) when I currently don't have any of the originals?

What does "Blu Scurro" look like, since it was the original color of my car?

What radio originally came in a '63 GTE?

What did the original shift know look like?

Did it ever come with bullet style mirrors on both sides, or just the driver's side?

Were the bullets ever chrome?

Sorry for all of the questions, thanks for the help!

Mike

wwwboard

Re: 250 GTE Keys

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard!

You'll have to find a good locksmith who has a good assortment of key blanks from the 60s that fit Alfas, and
Fiats to make them for your car. Do a search in the left frame of this website on "keys" and you'll find some
useful information.

Blaupunkts were usually fitted if they had them for radios

Mirrors were often dealer options, so anything's possible, but many of them that went through Luigi Chinetti's
shop got the Talbot Bullet mirrors.

Tom

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

I own a '63, SN 4247, which has chrome bullet style mirrors on both sides.  I believe my car was originally purchased from Otto Zipper's store in Beverly Hills, so the mirrors were done on the left coast as well.

As for the radio, I have an Audiovox, which may be an add-on.  Does anybody know if Audiovox was around in '63?  And did the radios come from the factory or the dealer?

By the way, Blu Scurro is a great color, especially with the tan interior.  I am thinking of that combination when I finally get it off the jacks.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hi Tom,

I've only heard of Beckers and Blaupunkts. Francois says they came with the cars from Italy, which makes sense since the speakers had to be installed under the leather package shelf under the rear window for the GTEs. Some 330s have speaker grilles under the radios, so installation was easier for the dealer to add, but who really knows!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hi Tom,

I've only heard of Beckers and Blaupunkts. Francois says they came with the cars from Italy, which makes sense since the speakers had to be installed under the leather package shelf under the rear window for the GTEs. Some 330s have speaker grilles under the radios, so installation was easier for the dealer to add, but who really knows!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

http://www.alfapro.com/html/keys_Ferrari.html

This is the only place I found that had the correct keys for my  1964 330GT. Kerry also has key blanks for sale but as it seems in true Ferrari style, every car has a unique number of keys, lock pairings and key blank numbers. For my car there is an ignition key, glove box /trunk key (these two were easier to find) and a key to open the doors and gas cap (this one only Alfapro had the correct blank.)

There is also a place on 3rd Avenue in NYC that specializes in older car key blanks (I listed their info in an earlier board post) but even they didn't have the key blank for the doors.

These people by the way are in Austrailia but for two full sets of keys the price was $16. US including shipping.
Best Yale
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

http://www.alfapro.com/html/keys_Ferrari.html

This is the only place I found that had the correct keys for my  1964 330GT. Kerry also has key blanks for sale but as it seems in true Ferrari style, every car has a unique number of keys, lock pairings and key blank numbers. For my car there is an ignition key, glove box /trunk key (these two were easier to find) and a key to open the doors and gas cap (this one only Alfapro had the correct blank.)

There is also a place on 3rd Avenue in NYC that specializes in older car key blanks (I listed their info in an earlier board post) but even they didn't have the key blank for the doors.

These people by the way are in Austrailia but for two full sets of keys the price was $16. US including shipping.
Best Yale
wwwboard

Re: Amazing

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Mike,

I hope this message finds you! My website is going through some changes to make service a little better for us Ferrari people!

Thanks for the support. It's been a lot of hard work, but I think it's paying off from notes like yours!

Seatbelts were barely an option back in the sixties, but there are some mounting points under the carpets, and side panels.

Do what you want for safety, because no one is going to deduct points at a show for you wanting to save your life!

Tom Yang
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

Certainly words to live by!
(pun completely intended)

Thanks for the input.  So is there a way to attach 3-point belts?

Also, while I have you on the "line", what radio(s) came in the '63 GTE?  I've tracked down an early european Blaupunkt-Frankfort.  Will that work?

Thanks and keep up the good work,

Mike

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

Certainly words to live by!
(pun completely intended)

Thanks for the input.  So is there a way to attach 3-point belts?

Also, while I have you on the "line", what radio(s) came in the '63 GTE?  I've tracked down an early european Blaupunkt-Frankfort.  Will that work?

Thanks and keep up the good work,

Mike

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Mike,

I believe there are mount points on the center tunnel for belts, and another below the "B" pillar, but there isn't one down near the rocker panels. The third point by the "B" pilar is a litte low for my tastes, but Some people use them without complaints.

Some information on the early radios can be found here:
http://www.tomyang.com/cars/ferrari.html?ferrari52.htm

The Blaupukt Frankfurt is probably the most common radio found in GTEs. It's a monster with tubes and stuff!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Mike,

I believe there are mount points on the center tunnel for belts, and another below the "B" pillar, but there isn't one down near the rocker panels. The third point by the "B" pilar is a litte low for my tastes, but Some people use them without complaints.

Some information on the early radios can be found here:
http://www.tomyang.com/cars/ferrari.html?ferrari52.htm

The Blaupukt Frankfurt is probably the most common radio found in GTEs. It's a monster with tubes and stuff!

Tom