First time buyer of Ferrari and wanting 365 GTC4

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

First time buyer of Ferrari and wanting 365 GTC4

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bruce Allen

Hi, I am looking at becoming a first time buyer of a Ferrari 365 GTC4.  I need a little help and any information would be appreciated!  Is this a decent Ferrari to be able to drive each week a little?  Is it a reliable car if it has been taken care of?  Anything to look out for in particular?  Does anyone know of someone who could do a prepurchase inspection in the San Francisco Bay area whom is knowledgeable on Ferrari's and the 365 GTC4?  Thanks for any help!
wwwboard

Re: First time buyer of Ferrari and wanting 365 GTC4

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron Masters

Bruce,

I though I would share some of my thoughts -

I have a C4, drive it regularly, and love the car.  Despite the relatively common opposing opinion, I think it is an exceptionally  good-looking car, which has proven (to me) reliable when maintained. (more on this maintenance topic later)

Forza wrote up the car in issues 11. If you pick up a late issue you will find back issues ordering instructions   – about $6.00 – cheep in comparison with anything else associated with the C4.

First – I believe that the C4 is one of the most complex Ferraris produced. There are some aspects that are a pain in the ass. Seeming simple things like changing air filters require removal of the filter boxes. I have a personalized customized  “S” wrench and a 10mm crows foot, and a whole lot of other fancy tools not to mention a lot of practice - It still takes 30 minutes to get the air filter boxes out of the car.  This type of procedure tends to be the norm for the C4.  To remove the front discs requires the removal of the brake lines and all the associated bleeding process upon assembly.

Even when you have the mercury columns, it will take several hours to properly set up the carburetors, but once they are set, they tend to stay set.

A full tune-up requires that you remove just about all the periphery on the top of the engine including all the carburetors. There are lots of nuts on the valve covers and heaven help you if you drop one into the wrong whole. With the proper tool, valve adjustment is not bad and the mechanism for adjustment of the cam timing is nicely done.  Removing and replacing the valve covers is interesting and time consuming and silicon seal around the O-rings is a must if you don’t want a leak.   

Count on spending $550.00 to rebuild the levelers if it hasn’t been done – see Jeff LeBlond

Alcantara fabric (the stuff on the dash) is available for about $80/yard.  

The factory valve guides are made of copper and ware out fairly quickly.  I spent close to 2K on valves and guides, and another $1500 for machine work on the heads after I had taken them off the engine.

What this means is that working on the car is labor intensive and good labor cost towards $100/hour.
Parts are expensive even when you shop around. Head gaskets are $200 each.

Personally, I view my C4 as a hobby and very much enjoy the mechanical work.  If you also enjoy mechanics and have a bit of extra cash lying around, this is an awesome vehicle to play with. If you do not enjoy mechanics, put away the price of small BMW for maintenance over the next 25k miles and if you buy a car with problems, make that a big BMW.

There is a Silver C4 advertised in northern CA, which has the potential of being in good shape. One common thing I notices in shopping for C4s – when they sit a long time, the volatiles in the gas remaining in the carburetors tends to evaporate leaving a type of goopy mess.  If this happens, the car will not run well.  The solution is “rebuilding” = taking the carbs apart, cleaning, new gaskets….  

Pre-inspection is a must – I trust Patrick Ottis in Berkley, also Tony Palidino on the peninsula  – pay for a full inspection –it is cheep insurance.  

Hope my opinions are helpful.

Aaron