Shaft Splines

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Shaft Splines

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Does anyone out there know of a shop that can manufacture a drive shaft that fits the 365 GT 2+2 components? I think the shaft has 28 splines in it. My local guys have Moser do their stuff. I have not called them yet, but wanted to ask you all first.

Thanks
Todd
wwwboard

Re: Shaft Splines

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by simon

Can I suggest you email Sebastian Sandklef Bach <zeb.bach@chello.se> in Sweden and ask him this question. He has a 365GT4 and posted about his splines on the owners site (www.owners.ferrari.com). I hope he won't mind as I have copied his post below. I have spoken with him on email and he seems a great guy. Please mention my name if you want to - I have told him you may contact him.

Simon

Sebastin's posting:

There are always new discoveries to Ferrari Ownership, which actually makes owning an old Ferrari both tricky and at the same time a bit fun i.e. if you like the investigating part of your car ownership. I really believe and hope that this site is going to be a useful source of information, tips and tricks - so alas I will provide you with one as Rüdiger provided me with useful info and phone numbers about where to get engine parts - thanks again Rüdi :)

I hade a nasty drive line shunt whenever I was standing still in neutral and engaged first gear. It was partly due to a worn clutch but worse was my mechanic discovered that the half shafts were totally worn with lots of play in the CV joints.

I quick call to Maranello Consessionaires or Ferrari UK to find out if they had any spare ones. They did - but the gentleman at the other end said that they only had one and they wanted one of my worn ones before they could ship the one they had to me because they needed to have one left. This because if they ever had to manufacture new ones they needed one as a master model if you like. Tricky to say the least - and I needed two of them. The one Maranello had was also very VERY expensive, the pound is not in favour of the Swedish krona.

The thing is that I seriously believed that Ferrari most likely didn't change the measure on the half shaft from the 365 on to the 400 and 400i series however Maranello didn't know about this. I don't know if Ferrari has the same parts number on half shafts from the 365 series on to the 400 and 412 but I will have a look in too it and find out.

I still needed to get hold of new or used but in god condition half shafts so I sent some mails to well known Ferrari workshops around the world.

Brian Keegan at Symbolic Motors in La Jolla California was extremely helpful in providing information. Thanks a lot Brian and here's Brians reply to my question:

-"Ferrari only ever supplied the halfshaft complete or just the boots. They purchased the shafts from an outside source as a unit. If your shafts are not bent, and all the play is in the joints, I have them available at $125 each. I have 2 in stock now, but if you need all four, I can have more in 2 days. BTW, that shaft fits many other models. Without looking in parts books to verify, 365gt 2 2, Daytonas, 400/412, all 308's use the same shaft.
Let me know what you want to do.
Brian"

Quite interesting info don't you think!?!

When I had the whole driveline asembly on the flor including gearbox, torque tube, driveshaft and differential we discovered that the splines were slightly worn as well hence a complete new set was needed. Another call to Maranello C. and wow - they had half shafts for both the 308 and the 412. My single shaft for the 365 was 1. more expensive 2. they were unawere that Ferrari used the same half shaft so extensively 3. they had totally different parts numbers at Maranello C.

Another call to Eurospares and I got myself a perfectly god set of half shafts from a late demolished 308 for about £125 not including VAT and shipping, which is far cheaper than Maranellos price and had them in the garage four days later. Before that I actually had Maranello take the one half shaft for the 365 series they had in stock and compare it with a 308 half shaft just for fun - they actually laughed too. -"OK gov - we get the point".

Best Regards

/Sebastian &nbsp