clutch / throw-out bearing noise

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

clutch / throw-out bearing noise

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Alfred

Re. 250gte. Anyone experience a metal on metal noise which changes pitch when you put the clutch in. I beleive is sounds like the throw-out bearing not releasing! Can the shaft be lubricated from under the car? the clutch works perfectly. This noise just developed after sittting in storage for the winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.   Alfred
wwwboard

Re: clutch / throw-out bearing noise

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Alfred,

It could be your t/o bearing. If the clutch is working, then the t/o bearing is doing it's job, but the noise is from the bearings going bad. I don't think there's anyway to lubricate it. Does the sound only happen when you apply pressure to the clutch?

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Alfred

no, I started the car after storing it for the winter and while idling I could hear the metal on metal sound. When I put in the clutch the noise is still there but at a quieter level. I drove about 10 mnutes and could still hear it. when I arrived at my destination I could hardly here the noise. go figure ! I probably should take it out this weekend and check it again. thanks for your comments!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Alfred,

It sounds like your t/o bearing is going bad, and having the car sit for the for the winter has made it slightly worse. Perhaps a small rust spot has formed on one of the bearings, and its chattering in the cage. The more you use it, it may get better. Eventually, you'll have to fix it, but see if the sounds goes away after a few more miles.

The pain in the butt with these cars is the interior has to partially disassembled to get to the transmission!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

What is confusing me about this discussion is the original comment that the noise is there both with the clutch in and out.  Normally the throw out bearing is not touching anything when the clutch is not depressed.  So it can only make noise when depressed.

So if the problem is the throw out bearing, then it must be mis-adjusted and still touches the clutch even when not engaged.  I would check the free-play and adjust it as necessary.  You might find the noise is now only present when using the clutch and you can live with it until it either:
1. gets much worse or
2. you have to remove the engine or transmission for some other reason.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Kerry,

I agree. The clutch should be adjusted to see if the sound goes away when the clutch is engaged. If the sound then returns only when the pedal is depressed, it's probably still the t/o bearing!

Tom