Wheels out of true?

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Wheels out of true?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by MikeH

Tom,

Before you condemn your wheels, are you quite sure they were locating properly on the balancer? Most balancers use a set of male taper cones to true the wheel, and these may not contact a true machined surface on a centre lock wheel. I know I could not get my wheels to run true on the balancer until I had a special adapter turned up. Check them out by fitting them to the car and giving them a spin.

Mike
wwwboard

Re: Wheels out of true?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Peter Skudder

I remember reading in the Classic and Sportscar magazine that the wheel balancing machine needs a special adapter for wire wheels and most tyre places do not have these, as wire wheels are not common anymore.

Thus I agree with Mike, check that the wheels are fitting correctly to the balancing machine first.

Good idea to check them on the car.

Good luck
Pete
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Steve Muzekari

Yes. I agree. I would have a Ferrari dealer check the balance first. They would have the correct adapter. I used the dealer after trying many specialty wheel places. They had the adapter and did a nice job.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tim

Gee Tom....  Any good British car guy knows this.  The inner flange is located by the taper you mentioned on the inside of the hub and the outer us located by the taper on the outside of the hub where the knock-off (knock-on for the Brits) seats on the hub.  The last set of tires I had mounted on some new Daytons for one of my Morgans (yes I have more than one) not only was set up to do them correctly but marked them as to front, rear and spare based on run-out.  Talk to your local British car guys to find someone with the right set-up.               tim