400 restoration details

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

400 restoration details

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

As some of you already know, I think, I have a very basic web site at www.400register.com. Well I have put my cars history and some details of the restoration on the site today. I have also uploaded a lot of pictures of the restoration. Follow the link below to have a look.

Unfortunately my site is nothing like as great as this site of Tom's but some of you might find it interesting.

#21557 restoration
wwwboard

Re: 400 restoration details

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Simon,

The restoration looks great! Keep up the good work.

I added your site to my "links" page.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Andrew Goalen

Simon,

Wow, your car is a great credit to you. just had a look at your site, would you like some more pics of my rusty not very clean 400!. I do have one small question, as I have to replace my exhaust in the next couple of weeks could you tell me what the fit of your manifolds was like and if it isnt too rude a question how much did they cost &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

They are not too hard to change. Take off the airfilter boxes and exhaust heat shields and you can get at all the exhaust studs. Jack the car up on stands and remove teh exhaust clamps and teh bypass pipe clamps. The manifolds drop out from under the car. You will need new exhaust gaskets and bypass pipe gaskets at around £30 and I bought new brass manifold nuts from a nut and bolt supplier. The manifolds I bought were stainless steel and cost me £1,200 and take about four weeks to be made by Don at Stainless Exhausts in the UK (http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/)
Fitting the new ones is teh reverse and no more difficult. Two people would be handy to hold teh two up to teh engine and put on teh first nuts but I did it on my own. Only thing I would say is don't forget to put the drivers side heat shield in place before you bolt on teh manifolds as it does not fit when they are in the car (don't ask). I might also suggest that you think about changing your starter motor at the same time (see separate thread). A rebuilt one cost me £325. You need to take the manifolds off to fit this My starter went wrong almost as soon as I had fitted teh manifolds! I would guess it should take you about a day to change both (I could do mine again in about 5 hours.

Hope this helps but do get back to me if you have any further questions.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

They are not too hard to change. Take off the airfilter boxes and exhaust heat shields and you can get at all the exhaust studs. Jack the car up on stands and remove teh exhaust clamps and teh bypass pipe clamps. The manifolds drop out from under the car. You will need new exhaust gaskets and bypass pipe gaskets at around £30 and I bought new brass manifold nuts from a nut and bolt supplier. The manifolds I bought were stainless steel and cost me £1,200 and take about four weeks to be made by Don at Stainless Exhausts in the UK (http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/)
Fitting the new ones is teh reverse and no more difficult. Two people would be handy to hold teh two up to teh engine and put on teh first nuts but I did it on my own. Only thing I would say is don't forget to put the drivers side heat shield in place before you bolt on teh manifolds as it does not fit when they are in the car (don't ask). I might also suggest that you think about changing your starter motor at the same time (see separate thread). A rebuilt one cost me £325. You need to take the manifolds off to fit this My starter went wrong almost as soon as I had fitted teh manifolds! I would guess it should take you about a day to change both (I could do mine again in about 5 hours.

Hope this helps but do get back to me if you have any further questions.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

I forgot to say that the stainless manifolds cost less than the steel ones from Ferrari. Ferrari UK wanted about £400 each (x4) for these.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

I forgot to say that the stainless manifolds cost less than the steel ones from Ferrari. Ferrari UK wanted about £400 each (x4) for these.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Simon,

Are you sure the manifold nuts were Brass? The 250-330 nuts are Bronze. Bronze is slightly harder than brass, and can be tightened more than brass.

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Simon,

Are you sure the manifold nuts were Brass? The 250-330 nuts are Bronze. Bronze is slightly harder than brass, and can be tightened more than brass.

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Tom you are probably right. Mine had about 15 different nuts on the 20 studs :-)  Actually some were clearly original in that they were brass/bronze/copper and shorter than a normal 13mm nut. The shortness allows them to be fitted easier on some of the studs where the pipe bends and runs close. I sent my originals off to my nuts and bolts supplier, Namrick, and they matched the height and material and supplied me a version that is 'self-locking', i.e. it won't vibrate loose. They may not be 100% original but they are on there nice and tight.
Namrick - Nuts & Bolts in the UK
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Tom you are probably right. Mine had about 15 different nuts on the 20 studs :-)  Actually some were clearly original in that they were brass/bronze/copper and shorter than a normal 13mm nut. The shortness allows them to be fitted easier on some of the studs where the pipe bends and runs close. I sent my originals off to my nuts and bolts supplier, Namrick, and they matched the height and material and supplied me a version that is 'self-locking', i.e. it won't vibrate loose. They may not be 100% original but they are on there nice and tight.
Namrick - Nuts & Bolts in the UK