Knock Off Wheel Torque Wrench Kit

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Knock Off Wheel Torque Wrench Kit

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by David Smith

Has anybody used the knock off torque wrench tool that is always advertised in the FCA bulletin?  I am concerned about beating on my knock offs with a lead hammer so close to my freshly restored wheels.  One slip and I will hate myself.  Any thoughts on this matter?
wwwboard

Re: Knock Off Wheel Torque Wrench Kit

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

I bought one and it seems to work well.  It's particularly good for loosening the knockoffs without a lot of drama.

One caveat: it did leave a tiny dent mark on the edges of my shiny chromed knockoffs, so I filed the big socket's edges a little rounder and wrapped some romex-insulated copper wire (house wiring) around the openings, which solved the problem

The restoration shop that worked on my car just used a very large plastic hammer to tighten the wheels on my car. I bought a large, heavy dead-blow hammer from Sears, and you really have to hit it hard to get the knockoffs anywhere near the wrench kit's "factory recommended" torque. I actually keep the wrench in my car for long trips just in case I do need to take off a wheel.

It would be interesting to have Francois or Patrick Ottis tighten a wheel with a hammer, then check it for torque with the wrench.  I'll bet people have been happily driving for 40 years with less torque than the "factory recommended" value, if my hammer, arm, and wrench are at all representative.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron Masters

David,

I am back to using a 3LB dead-blow plastic hammer.  My car is a driving work in progress so the wheels are off quite often. The plastic hammer does not damage the spinners.  I do not believe that I  achieve the ferrari spec. for tightness, but have no real way of knowing - no issues to date, and the wheels stay good and tight.  (I take a pretty good wack at it.)

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by mark travers

I use a self designed wrench that is 3 feet long with a three eared socket from Stainless Steel
Brakes. I apply about 3/4 of my body weight X the lever arm: 180x.75x3=405 ft lbs. This works
great and is a tremendous improvement over the lead hammer/exertion method, with no risk of body work damage. I would be happy to post a photo of this tool if anyone is interested. Let me know.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by mark travers

I use a self designed wrench that is 3 feet long with a three eared socket from Stainless Steel
Brakes. I apply about 3/4 of my body weight X the lever arm: 180x.75x3=405 ft lbs. This works
great and is a tremendous improvement over the lead hammer/exertion method, with no risk of body work damage. I would be happy to post a photo of this tool if anyone is interested. Let me know.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Vardanian

After banging my rim once with the lead hammer a friend and I came up with this so-called wrench and have been using it for a couple of years since then without an incident.  

I took a foot-long piece of four-inch-diameter aluminum pipe.  Then drew the outlines of the right side and left side spinners on each end of the pipe.  With a hacksaw and a file I carved out about inch-deep notches according to the outlines.  Then I drilled ¾ inch-diameter through holes at each end of the pipe for a torquing bar to pass through.  With a 2.5 foot (natural) gas 1/2 –inch pipe I can easily tighten the spinner till it bottoms and remove it with the same ease.  There is no need to torque the spinners.  Think of them as bottle caps, you tighten them to an end and when they reach the end you feel it by the way the torquing handle comes to a stop.  You may also cushion the notches for reduced marring.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Mark, and John,

I'd love to see pictures of your wrenches, since I don't know how I feel about hitting my newly refinnished knock offs with a hammer!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Mark, and John,

I'd love to see pictures of your wrenches, since I don't know how I feel about hitting my newly refinnished knock offs with a hammer!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Vardanian

Tom,

I'd be glad to let you see my design.  But, since I do not have a digital camera, if you'd like I can draw a diagram of it and fax it to you.  It's quite simple, actually.

john
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Vardanian

Tom,

I'd be glad to let you see my design.  But, since I do not have a digital camera, if you'd like I can draw a diagram of it and fax it to you.  It's quite simple, actually.

john
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jim

Tom,
What is Francois' technique for removing knockoffs?  What does he think of these variously modified torque wrench tools?  Is the old dead hammer the way to go?
Jim
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jim

Tom,
What is Francois' technique for removing knockoffs?  What does he think of these variously modified torque wrench tools?  Is the old dead hammer the way to go?
Jim
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by yale

He has the most beat up lead hammer you have ever seen, basicly worn down to a nub of masticated lead. I think Tom has a picture of it when it was in slightly better shape on the site somewhere. &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by yale

He has the most beat up lead hammer you have ever seen, basicly worn down to a nub of masticated lead. I think Tom has a picture of it when it was in slightly better shape on the site somewhere. &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Jim,

Does this picture of Francois' hammer answer your question?

I want to make my own knock off wrench, but I will have to see if it meets Francois' approval!

Tom