Vibration

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Vibration

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

My Series 1 330GT really vibrates quite a bit, and even more so in overdrive. Now obviously this is something Ferrari thought about with the 330 engine because they went to a two instead of four motor mount chassis. When I was looking for my car I did drive a few others though I don't remember all this vibration, I didn't get into overdrive for any leanth of time however. Any other 330GT owners out there experience this vibration at overdrive situation? Thank you.
wwwboard

Re: Vibration

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Allen

My series II also has a similar vibration which kicks in around 3000 rpm's -50- 60?mph & lessens slightly after 75mph.  I've been systematically tracing its cause. I won't get in to all that I've looked into now but I believe it may simply be the tires, namely Michelin xwx's  being out of round.I've been told that they can be"shaved" to correct this out of round problem. Should I just chuck these "correct" , low mileage ,20yr old tires for new ones?or look into someone who can true these Michelins .I'd be glad to talk at  more lenghth as to what all I've looked into.Also  I wanted to congratulate Tom on the the car and the site ... a real beauty!! and to reassure him that the final push to the finish is here, keep the faith... we all appreciate your time and effort. Cheers!                                 Allen
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

Funny that you have felt it is the tires because I was just starting to think a re-balancing of my tires might really help. I have recently left my job so have been driving the 330 almost evry day a few hundred miles at a time. Quite a different perspective.

Thanks for your thoughts Allen, please post anything else you come up with on the vibration issue. And anyone else with an overdrive I would love to know if you are getting more vibrations after the overdrive is in. Yale
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

Funny that you have felt it is the tires because I was just starting to think a re-balancing of my tires might really help. I have recently left my job so have been driving the 330 almost evry day a few hundred miles at a time. Quite a different perspective.

Thanks for your thoughts Allen, please post anything else you come up with on the vibration issue. And anyone else with an overdrive I would love to know if you are getting more vibrations after the overdrive is in. Yale
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm sure all of you are looking forward to hearing her fire up almost as much as I am!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm sure all of you are looking forward to hearing her fire up almost as much as I am!

Tom