Gasoline

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Gasoline

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jim

Dear Tom,
So, let's start another topic:  Gasoline & older Ferraris.

What are people's opinions on which gasoline to use, and which to avoid?  What about "reformulated" versions, such as in California?  What will be eaten by certain formulations, such as natural rubber;  and, which Ferrari components are vulnerable?

My understanding is that rebuilt cars will not have an issue with any make/formula of Gasoline, and, will operate fine on Unleaded Premium.  

But, what lurks in the gas tanks,  fuel pumps, etc. of these cars to be destroyed by methanol or other additives?

Comments, please.

Jim &nbsp
wwwboard

Re: Gasoline

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Jim,

I've replaced some of the rubber components in the mechanical fuel pump to handle modern gasoline, but I haven't heard of other parts, like the yellow fuel lines, being destroyed by reformulated gasoline. Of course since my car has not driven a single mile, there are planty of people more qualified to answer this question!

Tom
fuel pump rebuild
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

I have several years on California gas with yellow fuel lines, so far no trouble, and haven't heard of any issues from anyone.  MTBE and < 10% ethanol seem OK; stay away from methanol.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

I have several years on California gas with yellow fuel lines, so far no trouble, and haven't heard of any issues from anyone.  MTBE and < 10% ethanol seem OK; stay away from methanol.