New Member?

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

New Member?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Everyone,

Please read Richard "Ricky" Hills' last post. He is certainly exhibiting a much improved attitude. With his stash of cars, he can surely weigh in from time-to-time with some good thoughts. Let's all hope that we have another great contributing member to the site.

Thanks,
Todd
wwwboard

Re: New Member?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Keith

Agreed
wwwboard

Re: New Member

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Ricky Hills

Todd, yes thanks a new memeber, maybe, if you guys will have me after all this berrage of mis behavior, ok on my part from the start ,  but man on man, you have got to take a little thicker skin then that you guys.  I would be glad to give any advice, to Tricky Dicky, yes someone else does my restoration, but I am an engineer by trade/love.  So as far as understanding why certain things work they do or wont, I think I got an understand for it.
And, nothing wrong with restoring an Alpha.
Just do it right from the get go, what ever it is, there are so many Ferraris and other "cars" out there that have been "restored" that once you open them up you realize that your better off starting with a basket case!  

Ricky
wwwboard

Re: Lastly

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Ricky Hills

I am not a typist, and when I do type on this key board, my mind goes faster then my hands, so pardon my spelling.    

Rick
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Doug F.

You mean like Tom is doing? Starting with a basket case? We seem to have come full circle.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Rick Hills

NO WE HAVE NOT COME FULL CIRCLE, GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD< Someone who does restorations for a living does a much better job!  FULL CIRCLE NO,  PROFESSIONAL RESTERATION YES.  I wish I could draw you a picture....
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Rick,

Certainly nobody here would even consider thinking otherwise. A professional, experienced restorer like Francois that Tom relies on is absolutely capable of returning special cars like your Superfast (that was it, right? or was it a 340 America) to the condition they deserve. But something like a 250 GTE, 330 GT 2+2 or 330 America is, like you say, never going to be a big dollar car. That is why I think it is great that Tom is doing what he is doing. He is doing it for fun and not to win any Concours competition or anything. We would all love to have your collection and some of us would also like to have Tom's experience as well (I would like to, by the way, but am not sure I really want to put myself through all of it). I think everyone here should recognize what we agree on: 1) Ferraris are great, 2) A professional restoration expert is the only way to get to a Concours winner reliably, 3) a 330 America is not a 250 GTO or a 330 LM or a 250 LM, etc. and 4) a botched restoration is worse than none at all.

Thanks for the time,
Todd
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Rick,

Certainly nobody here would even consider thinking otherwise. A professional, experienced restorer like Francois that Tom relies on is absolutely capable of returning special cars like your Superfast (that was it, right? or was it a 340 America) to the condition they deserve. But something like a 250 GTE, 330 GT 2+2 or 330 America is, like you say, never going to be a big dollar car. That is why I think it is great that Tom is doing what he is doing. He is doing it for fun and not to win any Concours competition or anything. We would all love to have your collection and some of us would also like to have Tom's experience as well (I would like to, by the way, but am not sure I really want to put myself through all of it). I think everyone here should recognize what we agree on: 1) Ferraris are great, 2) A professional restoration expert is the only way to get to a Concours winner reliably, 3) a 330 America is not a 250 GTO or a 330 LM or a 250 LM, etc. and 4) a botched restoration is worse than none at all.

Thanks for the time,
Todd
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

O.K. I can't resist any longer speaking from first hand experience let me just say that professional restore does not mean good restore. Big name restore shops have big overhead and big rent which means big shaft to rich customer who only cares about platinum awards and bragging rights. I personally have taken part in several platinum restores and let me just say I wouldn't take them to the corner store not to metion the Colorado Grand or Mille give me Tom's car anyday. I to am an engineer by trade and now only do Ferrari restore on my personal cars and that alone makes me admire Tom's project that much more  how can anyone say you are doing a half assed job last time I checked saving money and doing things ones self is a good thing. I think that some people are just affraid that more people will figure what great a car ferraris are and that although sofisticated for there time they are by no means rocket science and more people should follow in Tom's fottsteps and keep a great mark alive and on the road instead of sitting in storage only to be trailered to the nearest golf course once a year
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke

An Alpha, Ricky?
You continue to embarass your own self. You cannot claim to be an expert and offer advice on Italian cars if you butcher the name of Ferrari's original parent company. It is like not knowing what a 2X4 is if you claim to be a carpenter.

(Sorry, Tom, I could not resist, "Alpha" spelling people annoy me almost as much as cell phone talking SUV yuppies who got beat up in school)

Luke
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke

An Alpha, Ricky?
You continue to embarass your own self. You cannot claim to be an expert and offer advice on Italian cars if you butcher the name of Ferrari's original parent company. It is like not knowing what a 2X4 is if you claim to be a carpenter.

(Sorry, Tom, I could not resist, "Alpha" spelling people annoy me almost as much as cell phone talking SUV yuppies who got beat up in school)

Luke
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John in Ct

Luke;

I agree, maybe Mr. Hills could consider a mersereti next?

John in Ct

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John in Ct

Luke;

I agree, maybe Mr. Hills could consider a mersereti next?

John in Ct