GTC 4 Engine Oil Leak

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

GTC 4 Engine Oil Leak

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Dr. Ian Levy

I have an  oil leak on the drivers side (RHD) of my engine. I only found it when I was removing the engine as this area was very difficult to see with all the stuff crammed round it.The leak is long standing(see engine picture in owners gallery). I want to run the engine on some sort of test bench  to  try & find  & fix the leak  before I put it back inthe car. Any advice,tips on a test rig or anything else I should know or be doing.
I would  really like to rebuild the complete engine but  I can't as I am so over budget already
Thanks
Ian
wwwboard

Re: GTC 4 Engine Oil Leak

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron Masters

Ian,

In thinking about your oil leak problem, and the back of the engine, I remember a bunch of plugs in the block, one big one at the end of the oil galley,  two passages to the heads, the cam covers, and the distributor.

To test the plugs and the passages into the heads, it might be possible to just pressurize the oil system  i.e. put together a canister with a oil hose connection in the bottom, fill it with oil and pressurize it from the top with compressed air. (Making sure to remove the plug from the drain in the oil pan and put a large bucket under it.)

I think if you use lightweight oil with all the filters in place, this might work. I haven’t been able to come up with a reason why this would be detrimental.  – open to suggestions in that area.

It might not catch a leaky distributor seal, but those are easy to look at or just replace.

One thing I do know, If you do not use silicon to seal between the valve cover gasket and the valve cover “O” rings on the ends, it will leak there.  One of those seals exists where the distributor mounting base and the valve cover meet at the back of the engine.

Aaron