Wrinkle paint finishes

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: Wrinkle paint finishes

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Mine smoked for some time but it goes off after a couple of hours of running. It was the paint on the heat sheilds rather than teh exhaust and must be temerature related because my back boxes didn't smell too much or smoke unduly.
wwwboard

Re: Wrinkle paint finishes

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by J Anderman

No Ferraris in my garage, but I do enjoy this site and have a fair amount of experience with wrinkle paint in the Alfa restorations I've done.  One thing that has been overlooked in the discussions here is the film thickness of the paint as applied.  The thickness of the paint is a key determinant of how coarse or fine the wrinkles will be.  Thicker paint = coarser wrinkes.  It is highly beneficial to heat the parts once sprayed, either in an oven, with a heat lamp, or with a heat gun.  But most importantly, spray carefully!  It's not so easy to get a uniform film thickness on odd shaped parts, especially from a spray can, but it will have a strong effect on the final outcome.

Also, Harley Davidson sells a very good black wrinkle paint; you can pick it up at any of their dealers.  Works great for valve covers.