Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Wrinkle paint finishes

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hello all,

I just posted an article on wrinkle finishes:
http://www.tomyang.com/cars/ferrari.html?wrinkle.htm
It's a work in progress because I have a sample from VHT that I want to try out when the weather in the Northeast gets warm enough for wrinkle painting.

Let me know if anyone has anything to add to this article.

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Re: Wrinkle paint finishes

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Dr. Ian Levy

Tom
PJH in Scottsdale produce a wrinkle finish  called PJ1 in an aerosol & it works well if the temp is right.   I have also seen it overpainted red for Testarossa. Here in the UK Hy-Cote also supply wrinkle black but I have not tried it.  I intend to try it on my air boxes & will let you know how it turns out
Regards
ian
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Hy-Cote works fine but the temperature is important. I bought a 500w floodlight/spotlight - like a builder would use - for about $15 and used the heat output from this to warm up my rear silencers before I painted them, and also to keep them warm whilst the wrinkle 'worked'. As I recall you must spray on one coat, wait 15 minutes (whilst keeping the object warm) and then give it a second coat, and then wait a further two hours for the wrinklles to fully develop.

I've used it without the heat and can only say that the heat is critical part of the process.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Hy-Cote works fine but the temperature is important. I bought a 500w floodlight/spotlight - like a builder would use - for about $15 and used the heat output from this to warm up my rear silencers before I painted them, and also to keep them warm whilst the wrinkle 'worked'. As I recall you must spray on one coat, wait 15 minutes (whilst keeping the object warm) and then give it a second coat, and then wait a further two hours for the wrinklles to fully develop.

I've used it without the heat and can only say that the heat is critical part of the process.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

another technique is to paint the item semi black first and leave in the hot sun for a couple of hours and then apply the wrinkle paint I have found that to give a good even appearence but I have yet to find a wrinkle paint that can withstand heat or is chemical resistant. every time the neddle sticks in the carbs or the fuel rail leaks gas gets spilled and the paints washes away. What is wrong with powder coating that is what all the cars at the shows use it's indestructable and provides and even and cosistant finish not to mention cheap.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

another technique is to paint the item semi black first and leave in the hot sun for a couple of hours and then apply the wrinkle paint I have found that to give a good even appearence but I have yet to find a wrinkle paint that can withstand heat or is chemical resistant. every time the neddle sticks in the carbs or the fuel rail leaks gas gets spilled and the paints washes away. What is wrong with powder coating that is what all the cars at the shows use it's indestructable and provides and even and cosistant finish not to mention cheap.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by simonc

Not enough sun in London to use your idea, Zac :-))

Actually I painted my exhaust heat shields with Hy-Cote two years ago and they have withstood the heat and the petrol leakages. I seem to remember that the first time they didn't and leaking petrol washed the paint off - I had dried them in the open air on a 'sunny' english day. Second time I heated them with the floodlight  I mentioned, and they seem to have 'cured' fine. Also my rear boxes seem to be standing up OK after a year, but they don't get too hot at the rear of a 400 as they are a long way away from the engine.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by simonc

Actually I painted my exhaust heat shields with Hy-Cote two years ago and they have withstood the heat and the petrol leakages. I seem to remember that the first time they didn't and leaking petrol washed the paint off - I had dried them in the open air on a 'sunny' english day. Second time I heated them with the floodlight  I mentioned, and they seem to have 'cured' fine. Also my rear boxes seem to be standing up OK after a year, but they don't get too hot at the rear of a 400 as they are a long way away from the engine.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by simonc

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

when you first started the motor did the exhaust smoke for the first couple of hours?that has been my experience and boy does it smell bad exspecialy when trying to tune the carbs &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

when you first started the motor did the exhaust smoke for the first couple of hours?that has been my experience and boy does it smell bad exspecialy when trying to tune the carbs &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Mine smoked for some time but it goes off after a couple of hours of running. It was the paint on the heat sheilds rather than teh exhaust and must be temerature related because my back boxes didn't smell too much or smoke unduly.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Mine smoked for some time but it goes off after a couple of hours of running. It was the paint on the heat sheilds rather than teh exhaust and must be temerature related because my back boxes didn't smell too much or smoke unduly.