cam timing (SOHC)

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

cam timing (SOHC)

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bruce

The cam timing on my 330 GTC is retarded about 4 degrees, likely due to stretching of a new timing chain. I have retensioned the chain and understand the process of disconnecting the cam gear and turning the engine to re-establish the correct timing marks. My problem is this; with the chain tensioned, how does one go about "walking" the chain over the cam gear and rotating the gear to re-align the gear bolt holes? There doesn't seem to be enough slack in the gear/chain system to allow this.  I'd appreciate any advice from someone familiar with the process. Thanks.
wwwboard

Re: cam timing (SOHC)

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

This is an absolute miserable job.   You need to have the tensioner loose enough to allow you to "pick up" one chain link and move it to the next tooth doing so one tooth at a time, starting on the left side (opposite the tensioner).  If memory serves, its 7 teeth to get the smallest adjustment (4 degrees I think)  If you drop it off the crank sprocket, you get to start all over again.  The other thing I remember was to remove the middle 4 cam follower groups as once you remove all the bolts holding the sprockets, the cam will move to equalize the spring pressures.  There is no way to discribe the whole process but I think the first thing to do is clear your mind of all impure thoughts and make sure you're in the right mood.          tim