250 GTE Brake Lines

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: 250 GTE Brake Lines

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

Brake lines were not that expensive. I got mine from Brian, via the Ferrari Digest (he happens to work at Lyle Tanner/FPE and I think they sponsor that list).
I would definitely redo the proportioning valve (check it if it was redone 30 years ago). Rebuilding it requires 3 rubber pieces in some model years, 2 in other years. Only one diaphram is hard to source. I had my brake system rebuilt (#4823), but all is not well yet. Redid every single component, including a new master, but still get a mushy pedal. Probably need to bleed it some more, or one of teh rebuilt pieces is crap (had that happen with calipers plenty of times).
If you are putting a car together, Tom' site will be very valuable, indeed. But nothing beats a local car you can poke at. Where are you located?

luke, SF, CA

63 250 GTE
90 911 C4 (probably for sale/trade)
74 Alfa Spider
98 Audi A6Q
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

One other thing - old dried out fiber washers on the fuel lines tend to leak when you start a car that's been sitting for a long time. &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

One other thing - old dried out fiber washers on the fuel lines tend to leak when you start a car that's been sitting for a long time. &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

I'm in Austin, Texas, and unfortunatelyI know of no other GTEs around here.  I definitely agree that the very best way to know how to restore a car is to look at and shoot pictures of a concours level or otherwise really together similar car.

Are there any other GTEs in Texas that you guys know of?

Since my car is also a 1963 (#4573) sounds like my proportioning valve should be the same as yours.  Did you just buy the pieces and rebuild it yourself?  Also, I don't suppose you still remember what length and type of brake lines you had to buy?

Thanks.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

I'm in Austin, Texas, and unfortunatelyI know of no other GTEs around here.  I definitely agree that the very best way to know how to restore a car is to look at and shoot pictures of a concours level or otherwise really together similar car.

Are there any other GTEs in Texas that you guys know of?

Since my car is also a 1963 (#4573) sounds like my proportioning valve should be the same as yours.  Did you just buy the pieces and rebuild it yourself?  Also, I don't suppose you still remember what length and type of brake lines you had to buy?

Thanks.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Chris Coios

Hello Mike,

Do not expect to find pre-made brake lines.  If your car has the original lines, use them for patterns, to the extent that you can remove them intact.  I suggest first photographing all the routing to use as a reference later for re-installation of the lines.  I have used a thin wire run along the line and over the curves to determine the true length of tubing needed.

I have used straight line material from NAPA parts - the kind you can bend without crimping - selecting lengths longer than I need for each application.  You can have this tubing copper plated to match the originals (but do not use solid copper line which will burst and it is not legal for brakes!).

Last time I looked, NAPA had lines with various fitting styles including English thread and hex size matching that of the original Dunlop system.  You will be cutting the lengths to custom, so you can remove the fittings and have them plated cadmium to original if you wish.  Or "Stainless Steel Brakes" in NY state has stainless fittings.

I save one factory flared end of the pre-made line and custom flare the other to the right length, before bending.

Flaring the tubing has always been frustrating for me, but now I have this great flaring tool which I recommend.  The little flaring toolkits with the split bar to hold the tube and the yoke press are useless - I have tried many.  I could never get an even, uniform flare using these, no matter how painstaking the set-up or end preparation.  A British company called Sykes-Pickavant makes a vastly superior tool with forming dies and a lever press.  Expensive at some $300 when I bought it about 5 years ago, it is well worth it.  I will look up the source information for this tool and post it.

Good luck with your car and do take everyone's advice to check out all the systems, no matter who did the work!

Chris
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Keith

I browsed quickly through this thread, so this may have been mentioned, but - try http://www.classictube.com/. I needed crossover tubes for the rear calipers on my 330. I could not find anyone that had the correct tool to do the reverse flair on lines that I was going to bend myself. I called classictube and they supplied stainless lines that fit PERFECTLY. The right bends and all. I know they do not stock fitments for all Ferraris, but I'm certain they can make up any set you may need if you supply the patterns. &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

Great advice, as usual.  Thanks guys.

Mike

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Chris Coios

Here is the information on the flaring tool I mentioned:

270 Series Double Lap Flaring Tool
Kit 027000

Sykes Pickavant Ltd.
Lytham St. Annes
Lancastershire FY83DU
England

US dealer:
Vector Enterprises
46 East Washington St.
Ellicotville, NY 14731
716 938 9010
(area code may be different now)

This information is 7 years old and may have changed.  Sykes Pickavant may have a web site, but I have not researched it.  I was mistaken in my first recollection of the cost of this tool, as i checked the invoice.  In 1995 it was $400, not $300 - I think I blocked out the expense from my mind to ease the pain!  It is probably even more expensive now, although in 1995, the dollar did not have the strength of recent years.  Anyway, it is a nice tool!

Chris  &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

This was a checkbook mechanic job for me (the 16 month old needs more attention than the cars). Brian, who often posts on the FerrariList can get you the proportioning valve diaphrams, and probably advise you on the length needed. Go to Ferraripartsexchange.com to find him.
To find cars in Texas, join the 250 GTE registry and look through the entries (searching through the archives of this board will get you the contact info for the new registry keeper).

thx
luke

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

This was a checkbook mechanic job for me (the 16 month old needs more attention than the cars). Brian, who often posts on the FerrariList can get you the proportioning valve diaphrams, and probably advise you on the length needed. Go to Ferraripartsexchange.com to find him.
To find cars in Texas, join the 250 GTE registry and look through the entries (searching through the archives of this board will get you the contact info for the new registry keeper).

thx
luke