DMV/Ferrari tales

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: DMV/Ferrari tales

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

Tim,
I am sure there are good people everywhere, but it was the design of the system I was frustrated with.
Actually, I have called this very number ! I have asked them if I could buy black CA plates and have them assigned to a 1963 year car (it had no plates, as it came from Belgium). The Year of Manufacture law states that you can do that for 1962 or earlier, so I was expecting a firm "No". The person on the phone (I got their name) said that I can, if I call Sacramento and check that the plates are free and clear, and that this batch contains no lead. So I purchased "ZPP 888" from a website that dealt with vintage plates, made the call,  and marched over to the DMV. They refused to assign the plates, despite the Sacramento reference.
And, BTW, I would never "yell". In my jobs, I have  worked  with billionaire CEOs and had more direct reports than I ever needed, so I have learned that yelling is never the way to get things done.
For now, my car has plates, insurance, and everything seems to be legal.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

Tim,
I am sure there are good people everywhere, but it was the design of the system I was frustrated with.
Actually, I have called this very number ! I have asked them if I could buy black CA plates and have them assigned to a 1963 year car (it had no plates, as it came from Belgium). The Year of Manufacture law states that you can do that for 1962 or earlier, so I was expecting a firm "No". The person on the phone (I got their name) said that I can, if I call Sacramento and check that the plates are free and clear, and that this batch contains no lead. So I purchased "ZPP 888" from a website that dealt with vintage plates, made the call,  and marched over to the DMV. They refused to assign the plates, despite the Sacramento reference.
And, BTW, I would never "yell". In my jobs, I have  worked  with billionaire CEOs and had more direct reports than I ever needed, so I have learned that yelling is never the way to get things done.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

Tim,

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jim

Luke, So, do you have black plates/YOM's or new white plates? I've made numerous inquiries of DMV/Sacramento to no avail. BTW, my opinion is that the DMV is a quitessential example of the govt. civil service system. If you assume we're the best country in the world, then other countries are in deep S..t!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jim

Luke, So, do you have black plates/YOM's or new white plates? I've made numerous inquiries of DMV/Sacramento to no avail. BTW, my opinion is that the DMV is a quitessential example of the govt. civil service system. If you assume we're the best country in the world, then other countries are in deep S..t!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jim

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jim

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jim

Tim, Just talked (in a pleasant manner) with the Registration Manager for CA DMV @ 916 657-6560, re: black plates for cars newer than 1962.  She was pleasant, and the answer is NO. HOWEVER, if you have the original registration of the car (assuming it was in CA originally), and can locate the original plates (yeah, right), you can use those black plates on your auto, such as a 1966 330 GTC, for example.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jim

Tim, Just talked (in a pleasant manner) with the Registration Manager for CA DMV @ 916 657-6560, re: black plates for cars newer than 1962.  She was pleasant, and the answer is NO. HOWEVER, if you have the original registration of the car (assuming it was in CA originally), and can locate the original plates (yeah, right), you can use those black plates on your auto, such as a 1966 330 GTC, for example.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jim

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jim