365 GT 2+2: Exhaust / Middle Silencers

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: 365 GT 2+2: Exhaust / Middle Silencers

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

I replaced the original Abarth exhaust on my 330GTS with an "original" ANSA setup. It took a local muffler shop a day or so to fit it to the car.

Whatever you buy, plan to have someone who is handy with a saw and welder spend some time fitting it to your car.

Now if I could just get an exhaust that would make my 330 sound like a Daytona....

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

I replaced the original Abarth exhaust on my 330GTS with an "original" ANSA setup. It took a local muffler shop a day or so to fit it to the car.

Whatever you buy, plan to have someone who is handy with a saw and welder spend some time fitting it to your car.

Now if I could just get an exhaust that would make my 330 sound like a Daytona....

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Erik,

If the original Ansas are available, I'd go for them, especially since your car is so original. They usually all need a little tweaking to fit correctly, but in the hands of a competent installer, you shouldn't have too many problems. Sound is so subjective, but I'm sure they all sound different.

Tom Yang
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Erik Nagel

Well, almost: the original is available, is slightly more expensive, the fit I don't know, it is reported to sound a little louder (though original, hehehe), and is the most original replacement for the current system I can get.

I don't expect a lot of welding cause the difficult rearpipes are left intact, I only replace the middle mufflers.

sound vs originality is the question. &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Erik Nagel

Well, almost: the original is available, is slightly more expensive, the fit I don't know, it is reported to sound a little louder (though original, hehehe), and is the most original replacement for the current system I can get.

I don't expect a lot of welding cause the difficult rearpipes are left intact, I only replace the middle mufflers.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Erik Nagel

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Erik Nagel

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Hi Erik

I bought a stainless steel exhaust for my 400 from Don at Stainless Exhausts (http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/) in the UK. They were cheaper than all of the other companies. I started with centre boxes which fitted fine and these were mixed with the standard steel manifolds and rear section for a couple of years without problems. I have since bought new manifolds and new rear boxes and they all fitted fine. To be honest the exhaust is a little close to the chassis in a couple of places, and I need to attend to this, but there were no major problems fitting these items.

I only painted the rear boxes with wrinkle finish black paint. I left teh rest of the sytem in plain unpolished stainless. Looks great and sounds fine.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Hi Erik

I bought a stainless steel exhaust for my 400 from Don at Stainless Exhausts (http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/) in the UK. They were cheaper than all of the other companies. I started with centre boxes which fitted fine and these were mixed with the standard steel manifolds and rear section for a couple of years without problems. I have since bought new manifolds and new rear boxes and they all fitted fine. To be honest the exhaust is a little close to the chassis in a couple of places, and I need to attend to this, but there were no major problems fitting these items.

I only painted the rear boxes with wrinkle finish black paint. I left teh rest of the sytem in plain unpolished stainless. Looks great and sounds fine.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Hi Erik

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon

Hi Erik

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Erik Nagel

I made it, the decision is done: I went for the original ANSA exhausts:

1) because they are the original
2) because now normal steel meets normal steel
3) because they gave me a tremendous rebate

Thank you all for your valuable replies !! This is definitely a good forum to discuss "Ferrari matters"...

Thanks again,
and good luck and morale to Tom,

Erik
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

just in case you want to replace the tailpipes I was able to get a pair from Ferrari of Atlanta for around $600.00 for the pair and the fit was near perfect. they said they still had another pair when I ordered about a year ago
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

just in case you want to replace the tailpipes I was able to get a pair from Ferrari of Atlanta for around $600.00 for the pair and the fit was near perfect. they said they still had another pair when I ordered about a year ago
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac