GTC4 Brake fluid

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

GTC4 Brake fluid

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Dr. Ian Levy

Original brake fluid was ATE type S.
ATE  have not replied to my question what Ishould use instead .
There are no DOT numbers in the book.
Can any one tell me what fluid I should use?
Many thanks
Ian Levy
wwwboard

Re: GTC4 Brake fluid

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Ian,

ATE supplied brakes to other manufacturers like Porsche, so I don't see anything wrong with using any alcohol based brake fluid. Just stay away from the silicon based fluids.

In the US, the alcohol based fluids are rated with "Department of Transit" ratings of DOT 3, and DOT 4. The primary difference is the DOT 4 has a higher boiling point. I doubt you'll ever exceed the limit of DOT 3 in street driving, but some people prefer the slightly higher boiling point of DOT 4.

They also make a "Racing" brake fluid that comes in two colors (I think blue and the normal white wine color) This has an even higher boiling point, and makes flushing the system easier because when you see the other color coming out of your bleeder, you've completely flushed the system.

I've heard some instances where the blue fluid has dyed the plastic resevoir of some master cylinders. Has anyone heard of this? Not a very good thing because it defeats the whole purpose of beinng able to check fluid levels without removing the cap!

Stick to what works, and remember, Just because it says "Used in Racing" it does not mean it will work better for the street!

Tom