Help ... Replacement of Valve Cover O-Ring

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Help ... Replacement of Valve Cover O-Ring

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Vardanian

How difficult is it to replace the o-ring that is sandwitched between the valve cover and the sprocket cover in the 250 engine?  Has anyone done this.  Would appreciate any advice.  Mine is compressed and is leaking badly.

john
wwwboard

Re: Help ... Replacement of Valve Cover O-Ring

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

The problem is that the lower half of the O-ring is sandwiched between the head and front cover.
There are 4 choices:
1.  Remove the valve cover and re-assemble with lots of silicon sealer after carefully cleaning everything.  Low cost, moderate labor, but success isn't guaranteed.
2.  Remove the valve cover, cut the upper half of the O-ring off and replace it with a new half.  Re-assemble with silicon sealer, paying close attention to the joint where the old and new seals meet.  Low cost, moderate labor and will probably eliminate the leak.
3.  Remove the valve cover, timing chain cover and the head.  Replace the O-ring, head gasket and re-assemble.  High cost (head gaskets are expensive), high labor and should be successful.
4.  Remove the valve covers, timing chain covers, fan, alternator, belts, water pump?, hoses, cam pulleys and front cover.   Replace the O-ring (and several others), front cover gasket, front main seal and re-assemble.  Medium cost, high labor and should be successful.

In all cases, you need a thin piece of brass or aluminum to hold the O-ring in place against the timing chain cover while sliding the valve cover down against the head.

I would start with #2 unless there is another reason you need to remove the heads.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Vardanian

Thanks, Kerry.  Great advice.  You must be a bonafide Ferrari mechanic; if not now then I am sure in another life.

I actually tried Option 2 and it worked.  I was starting to panic as the annual Monterey trip was begining to fade.  Thanks again.

john

Ps.

I took off one of the rear brake calipers in order to replace an axle seal.  Now that everything is back on I cannot get the line-to-caliper connection to stop weeping.  Any suggestions?

john

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

Well, usually I try not to undo any brake lines if I can help it.  Usually you can take off the caliper and just let it hang (supported) off to the side.

The seal for a brake line depends on the flare put into the tubing when it was made.  The flare nut squishes the flare against the caliper, thus making the seal.  I would carefully check that it hasn't been damaged in some way or that there isn't some foreign matter in the hole in the caliper that is preventing a good seal.

If neither is the case and the nut isn't cross threaded, then apply some more tightening pressure.  Of course, use the proper size of flare nut wrench so you don't round the nut.  Sears or any good auto supply store has metric flare nut wrenches.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi John,

I know the rear caliper line is in a real awkward place to see, but try to pull the line, and look at the flared end of the line. Make sure you don't have a burr, or something that is not allowing the line to seal in the caliper.  Also check the flare nut for cracks. Sometimes a you can file the flare end very slightly to remove some of the deformities, but make sure none of the filings get into the brake lines. Clean everything thoroughly!

I know this is going to be tough, because brake fluid will be dripping on you all the while you're trying to fix this! Don't forget to make sure the brake fluid resivoir doesn't drip dry, or you'll have to bleed the whole system!

The worst case scenario will be to replace that line, but it's not as bad as it sounds because it's a short one. It only goes to a junction block on the rear diff tube.

Tom

Tom