How do they feel ?

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

How do they feel ?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by JM

Sorry guys if this is a weird question. My feeling is that most of the modern cars are missing something. Yes, they are good cars for going from A to B but nothing more.

I've never driven a vintage Ferrari, I suppose they must be really diferent cars; the sound, the handling, the power and even the interiour's fine leather smell right ? Isn't that like staying in heaven ?

How does the clucth pedal feel like ? Is it stiff ? And can you hear the "clink" sound when changing gears or that is only in modern Ferraris ?
wwwboard

Re: How do they feel ?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

They smell like leather, oil, and gas.

The sound is great, snorty and eager.  

Handling is fun on those skinny tires even at low speeds. It's easy to steer with the rear end, plenty of torque, at least by the time we got to the 4-liter 330s.  They're not dragsters off the line, though.

Old Ferraris are mechanical works of art.  However, you have to approach gear changes with a certain pace. "Speed shifting" is an oxymoron.

My 330 clutch is lighter than my '67 400cu in. Firebird's was.  It's transmitting half the torque as the Firebird's, but maybe 3/4 the horepower, and at least as much entertainment.

Vintage Ferraris are 30-40 year old cars with carburetors and no crash safety.  They're great weekend cars, full of character.