Francois' work in Cavallino #69

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Francois' work in Cavallino #69

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

(On a more serious note)

Tom,

I just bought a copy of Cavallino #69 on eBay, the one that features the black/red 330 America #5105 that Francois Sicard restored for Peter Kalikow in NY.  WOW!!! Have you seen this 330 America in person?  In the same issue there is also an ad for SF Restoration with a list of cars on page seven that Francois has restored.  It is a list of the very creme de la creme of the Ferrari world, 2 250 GTOs, a 250 TR, a 750 Monza, a 290 MM, a 250 GT SWB, and on and on and on.  

Tom you truly must be living under a charmed star to have someone of that caliber mentoring you through your restoration.  I knew that he was good, from how you described him and his work, but I had no idea just how good.

As someone restoring a 1963 GT/E myself, I am both jealous and thankful that I can follow along in your footsteps, especially now knowing that you are under the tutelage of a true master.

I'm assuming that you already have this issue and article.  However if you don't, I would be happy to scan it and send it to you.  A very nice write-up indeed.  Personally, I'm trying to track down Cavallino #27, since it has a write-up by Alan Boe on my car the GT/E.

Thanks again for the site.  Sorry about the previous exchange, but I have never been one to suffer fools, especially when they attempt to taint something as special as this site and forum.

Mike
wwwboard

Re: Francois' work in Cavallino #69

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Mike,

Here's the link on my visit with Kalikow's 330 America. Francois has extensive pictures of his restoration of this car, along with a Series III GTE that he also restored. His Knowledge has been invaluable to my restoration.

I thank my stars everyday for the oportunity to work under someone with such experience. I only wish I had been around during the restoration of some of the other cars. I guess I can't complain considering the amount of Ferraris I've seen go through his shop in the past three years!

I axcept your apology, and hope that we can all move on and continue to make this site a pleasant place to visit!

Tom
Kalikow's 330 America
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

I have a copy of the article from #27. For a princely sum of $10, the Cavallino folks faxed me a copy (I did not want a reprint at $45, or whatever it was).
I have recently had the pleasure of meeting Patrick Ottis and having him do my valve adjustment. I think that he is in the same equivalency class as Francois on the West Coast. When I was there, there sat a tdf, a (Jag or Allard?) roadster that was featured in Autoweek a few months back (it had a Ferrari V12), as well as a "pedestrian" California, a couple 330s, and SWBs.
One interesting detail of my visit...Patrick makes up very cool invoices, long and they read like a novel. He describes exactly what he found (one of my bolts in the valvetrain was sheared), where he found it, and almost saying what tool he used. I found his ruminations and the level of detail very useful and informative.
Now, if only my brakes would get in shape, I can go to Concorso. It seems that the new brake master I ordered was bad. The next one seems to have done the trick.

Luke, SF, CA
1963 250 GTE #4823
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

I've actually seen Cavallino #27 before several times on eBay for around $25-30, but have always gotten scooped at the last second.  $45 for a non-original reprint is outrageous.

Our cars are fairly close in production (4823 - 4573).  How far along are you, or are you done pretty much?  What condition was it in when you started?

Patrick's invoices sound awesome.  That would certainly be one way to demonstrate the value and justify expense of a professional doing the work.   Otherwise, if you just get a big fat bill with no detail, you might tend to feel that you have been taken advantage of.

Do you have any pictures of your car?

Later,

Mike Theo #4573
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

I've actually seen Cavallino #27 before several times on eBay for around $25-30, but have always gotten scooped at the last second.  $45 for a non-original reprint is outrageous.

Our cars are fairly close in production (4823 - 4573).  How far along are you, or are you done pretty much?  What condition was it in when you started?

Patrick's invoices sound awesome.  That would certainly be one way to demonstrate the value and justify expense of a professional doing the work.   Otherwise, if you just get a big fat bill with no detail, you might tend to feel that you have been taken advantage of.

Do you have any pictures of your car?

Later,

Mike Theo #4573
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

My car is a driver, not a concours car, but it is certainly presentable. I made a deal with the Chief Family Officer that I have to keep it for 10 years, so I will have time to address minor cosmetic things that bother me. The body and the motor are relatively fresh, however.
Pics are here:
http://www.guigui.com/250gte.htm
My GTE page
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

My car is a driver, not a concours car, but it is certainly presentable. I made a deal with the Chief Family Officer that I have to keep it for 10 years, so I will have time to address minor cosmetic things that bother me. The body and the motor are relatively fresh, however.
Pics are here:
http://www.guigui.com/250gte.htm
My GTE page
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

I definitely remember this car and your exploits in getting it home.  Very sweet.  I am shooting for a driver-GTE when I am done.  Concours would be great, but I don't have the cash, and besides, I don't want to feel guilty everytime I drive it.  Right now my goal is to get it all back together and running.  Then, I'll start restoring as time goes on.  I would like to have the car back in a similar status to what it would be like if it were a well cared for, garaged, and maintained 30 year old car.  Not showroom.  anyway, thanks for sharing.

Later,

Mike

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

I definitely remember this car and your exploits in getting it home.  Very sweet.  I am shooting for a driver-GTE when I am done.  Concours would be great, but I don't have the cash, and besides, I don't want to feel guilty everytime I drive it.  Right now my goal is to get it all back together and running.  Then, I'll start restoring as time goes on.  I would like to have the car back in a similar status to what it would be like if it were a well cared for, garaged, and maintained 30 year old car.  Not showroom.  anyway, thanks for sharing.

Later,

Mike

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

Later,

Mike