Chrome hood trim piece

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Chrome hood trim piece

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

I'm at the point of starting the re-chroming process on my car, and was struck by a thought, which may actually be blasphemous.  

Is it just me, or wouldn't the 250 GTE/330 America hood look a whole lot better without the chrome trim piece?  It just seems to break up a really pretty and flowing contour that extends from fender to fender.  Was there a purpose for this, other than perceived aesthetics?
wwwboard

Re: Chrome hood trim piece

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

I have a copy of the origial brocure for the 250 GTE, which says "The smooth, plain hood, without air intake, tapers off towards the front end so as to increase the adherence of the car to the road when running at very high speed."  While this sounds like the car shouldn't have a chrome strip, all the photos do.  In any case, I have never heard of a GTE without the strip.  I have, however, seen one with chrome air vents on the fenders, so you could go that way if you decide against decreasing the chrome!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

Sounds like a "stripless" hood to me.  Hey, I've been trying to find one of those original brochures.  What are they running these days?

I've seen the GTE with the chrome vents.  Not exactly sure what they were thinking with that.  But, I was trying to rig up some Crager S/S's to work with the knock-off spools.  Now that will be cool!   ;~)

Mike

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

Sounds like a "stripless" hood to me.  Hey, I've been trying to find one of those original brochures.  What are they running these days?

I've seen the GTE with the chrome vents.  Not exactly sure what they were thinking with that.  But, I was trying to rig up some Crager S/S's to work with the knock-off spools.  Now that will be cool!   ;~)

Mike