An actual real oil question for once

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

An actual real oil question for once

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Hi,

I bought a 365 GT 2+2 motor from fellow message boarder Zac and have a question for him and all of you other knowledgable guys: Where is the oil pump on these engines and which is the "high" side of the oil cooler connections? I thought the oil pump was up with the oil filters when I examined the parts book and assumed that it sucked oil from the sump through the cooler. Looking at diagrams of the oiling system of older 250 motors, though, it appears that the oil pump is down low where the sump pickup tube is and that the oil is then pumped up to the filter assembly. Does anyone know for sure?
wwwboard

Re: An actual real oil question for once

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

Hey Todd,
the oil pump is indeed in the bottem of the front cover where the little hump is underneath the pulley.the oil filter side is the out and the tube at the bottem of the front cover along with the sump port are the returns. glad to see you found your hoses. by the way to Sir Lord know nothing compitition Ferraris had even serial numbers!!!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Thanks, Zac!

Those darn drawings are sometimes confusing if you don't have the assemblies opened up in front of you! BUT I wouldn't even turn a single screw on an old Ferrari without the parts manual!

By the way, I need to send you pictures of my adapters my machine shop made for me to put standard air cleaners on the carbs. They made up some adapters that are real simple and much cheaper than those made for your buddy building a GTO!

All mounted up they don't look accurate of course, but I think they look good!

For all of the rest of you out there, I am talking about adapters that mate Weber DFI/5 or /6 (etc?) carbs to Billet Specialties 6" round air cleaners with K&N filters.

Thanks again,

Todd
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Thanks, Zac!

Those darn drawings are sometimes confusing if you don't have the assemblies opened up in front of you! BUT I wouldn't even turn a single screw on an old Ferrari without the parts manual!

By the way, I need to send you pictures of my adapters my machine shop made for me to put standard air cleaners on the carbs. They made up some adapters that are real simple and much cheaper than those made for your buddy building a GTO!

All mounted up they don't look accurate of course, but I think they look good!

For all of the rest of you out there, I am talking about adapters that mate Weber DFI/5 or /6 (etc?) carbs to Billet Specialties 6" round air cleaners with K&N filters.

Thanks again,

Todd