Guages in Italian

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Guages in Italian

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by scott

I'm looking at a 66 330 2+2 series 2. The guages are in Italian - very cool - and the odometer is in km. Does this necessarily indicate that it was originally a European delivery car? The owner doesn't know the car's early history and it doesn't really matter to me - the car has been in the US for many years. I'm just curious.

I haven't visited this board for awhile. Tom, congratulations on your progress. It sounds
incredible! I'm slowly but surely moving toward
ownership, and this board continues to be a huge help.

wwwboard

Re: Guages in Italian

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

Scott,

I can only speak for myself, but my car, a 63 250 GTE, has Italian gauges and was definitely delivered in Milan when new.  I would think that the speedo being in Km would be a good solid indication of original delivery location.  Really, other than the gauges and possibly the choice of radio (AM/FM/SW/LW), the cars were identical back then, assuming it is left-hand drive .  No DOT and EPA worries back then.  

Also, look at the top driver's side corner of rear window for any remnants of a dealership sticker.  I had already researched its origin, but it was confirmed when I discovered that mine still had traces of the original Crespo Ferrari of Milan sticker.

Hope it helps,

Mike
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

Just look up the serial number in my 330 GT Registry.  That will have either the original owner or the original dealer if not ordered for a specific customer.  However, it is highly likely that a car with metric gauges was originally delivered to a country using the metric system.

www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/330GTRegistry
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Scott

Kerry:

I have visited your site several times earlier this year. In the last 3 or 4 months, when I've tried to bring it up either by link or manually entering the address, all I get is a window
with the message "can't find web site". It's
been frustrating because I do want to know some background on potential purchases. I'm finding that with a lot of these old 330's even partial histories and records are hard to come by. &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Scott

Kerry:

I have visited your site several times earlier this year. In the last 3 or 4 months, when I've tried to bring it up either by link or manually entering the address, all I get is a window
with the message "can't find web site". It's
been frustrating because I do want to know some background on potential purchases. I'm finding that with a lot of these old 330's even partial histories and records are hard to come by. &nbsp
wwwboard

Re: Gauges in Italian

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

I'm sorry to say that people that use AOL as their ISP do seem to have problems getting to the web site periodically.  I actually got an AOL account for several months to try and track down the problem, but it never happened to me so there wasn't anything I could do.

If you have web access at work (through another ISP) or perhaps at a library or at a friend's house, you shouldn't have any problems.  The server never does down and expect for some software upgrades every few weeks, it just runs and runs.

wwwboard

Re: Gauges in Italian

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

I'm sorry to say that people that use AOL as their ISP do seem to have problems getting to the web site periodically.  I actually got an AOL account for several months to try and track down the problem, but it never happened to me so there wasn't anything I could do.

If you have web access at work (through another ISP) or perhaps at a library or at a friend's house, you shouldn't have any problems.  The server never does down and expect for some software upgrades every few weeks, it just runs and runs.

wwwboard

Re: Gauges in Italian (Kerry's site)

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

Hi Kerry,

Have you contacted aol to tell them about the problem? When I had talked to aol about it  they said they would work with you to fix the issue. I assume they want you to do something different as opposed to them doing something different so it might be too much trouble. As it stands I have never been able to sign on to your site with aol, so for you site I use explorer. (Maybe it has something to do with the giants of aol and Microsoft opposing each other, no?) Best Yale
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

Hi Kerry,

Have you contacted aol to tell them about the problem? When I had talked to aol about it  they said they would work with you to fix the issue. I assume they want you to do something different as opposed to them doing something different so it might be too much trouble. As it stands I have never been able to sign on to your site with aol, so for you site I use explorer. (Maybe it has something to do with the giants of aol and Microsoft opposing each other, no?) Best Yale
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

Hi Kerry,

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by scott

Mike:

I am wondering if there could be some little known fact at work - perhaps an
"odd lot" of a few euro-spec cars delivered to the US to meet dealer demand. I have no idea how Ferrari sold cars in those days - could production models be bought from dealer stock
or did each car have to be individually ordered by the customer?

JSA
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by scott

Mike:

I am wondering if there could be some little known fact at work - perhaps an
"odd lot" of a few euro-spec cars delivered to the US to meet dealer demand. I have no idea how Ferrari sold cars in those days - could production models be bought from dealer stock
or did each car have to be individually ordered by the customer?

JSA
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

I may be wrong   but if memory serves there was no such thing as a US car prior to 1965/1966 all cars came with KM speedos and itailian gauges until the later generation 330s and the 365 series.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

Could be.  I just know that my particular car was originally delivered to Milan, and it has Italian/Metric gauges.  

As far as the individual -vs- mass production nature of the cars, it was probably both.  I'm sure that buyers like Aristotle Onasis had the 250 GT/E that he bought for Maria Callas special ordered, but then I'm also sure that some of the GT/Es were also purchased off of the showroom floor from existing stock.  

An interesting side note is that even though production for the GT/E was high, relative to other Ferraris at the time, Enzo still maintained the aura of exclusivity by having dealers tell potential buyers that they "might be able to get them a 250 GT/E, but that there would probably be a long wait for one".

Mike
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Theo

Could be.  I just know that my particular car was originally delivered to Milan, and it has Italian/Metric gauges.  

As far as the individual -vs- mass production nature of the cars, it was probably both.  I'm sure that buyers like Aristotle Onasis had the 250 GT/E that he bought for Maria Callas special ordered, but then I'm also sure that some of the GT/Es were also purchased off of the showroom floor from existing stock.  

An interesting side note is that even though production for the GT/E was high, relative to other Ferraris at the time, Enzo still maintained the aura of exclusivity by having dealers tell potential buyers that they "might be able to get them a 250 GT/E, but that there would probably be a long wait for one".

Mike