Carb Synching (the sequal)

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Re: Carb Synching (the sequal)

Post by John Vardanian »

I disagree, Cornelis. There doesn’t have to be a compromise if you can assure that all six butterflies “wake up” simultaneously, as soon as the foot goes on the gas pedal. You can accomplish this by playing with the linkages for hours, but make sure you have a powerful window fan in front of the grill.

john
PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

John Vardanian wrote:I disagree, Cornelis. There doesn’t have to be a compromise if you can assure that all six butterflies “wake up” simultaneously, as soon as the foot goes on the gas pedal. You can accomplish this by playing with the linkages for hours, but make sure you have a powerful window fan in front of the grill.

john
Hi John,
I have nothing agains a academic approach, with can make fun.
But even with fresh overhauld carbs you can reset the adjust screws after 100 miles fast driving over and over again.
Well thats my expierance.
Nevertheless the engine runs fine. but the vacuum is not on all openings the same.
Your " playing for hours" I spend on the road.

succes

Cornelis
Attachments
motor V12.jpg
motor V12.jpg (61.73 KiB) Viewed 27164 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Cornelis, it may sound a little masochistic, but I love screwing around with these cars. Why else would I do something like this, right? Truthfully, I get a little depressed when a long time goes by and nothing breaks. john
PF Coupe
Yale

Post by Yale »

John Vardanian wrote:Cornelis, it may sound a little masochistic, but I love screwing around with these cars. Why else would I do something like this, right? Truthfully, I get a little depressed when a long time goes by and nothing breaks. john
Too bad you don't live near me John. I think my car could break enough to keep you in heaven. And while you were fixing it I could drive one of your cars and, as I've proven, putting miles in these cars is the best way to have to do something about something in your garage.
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

I have been enjoying all the carburetor talk, but it seems time to let everybody know that I did a five part series of Tech Tips for the Ferrari Market Letter in 1982 and 1983 that covers all of this. It is all laid out there. It covers three and six carbs, DCL, DCZ, DCF, DCS, DFI, DCN, etc. It was also published in my FML Tech Tips Volume 1.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Dyke, how do we get our hands on the material. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

John Vardanian wrote:Hi Dyke, how do we get our hands on the material. Thanks.

john
Dyke that would take my interest also.
maybe is better to publish -if you are willing- at Tom Wilsons GTE-Letter .
"Otherwise a cleaver dutchman will sell this info at ebay"
(TY is free visible for the whole world.)
I will surbscibe and probebly others also,immidiatly at Tom W.
I think TomW has nothing agains it.

C.
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Carburetor adjustment - Part 1 V7#16 7 Aug 82
Carburetor adjustment - Part 2 V7#17 21 Aug 82
Carburetor adjustment - Part 3 V7#18 4 Sep 82
Adjusting DFI carburetors V7#24, 27 Nov 82
Adjusting DCN carburetors V8#3, 12 Feb 83

BTW, Part three concludes with:
For a copy of the complete, three part, twelve step, technical tip on carburetor adjustment, send a SASE to Ferrari Market Letter, 850 Maxey Hill Court, Stone Mountain, GA 30083-2399.

I doubt that the offer is still good, further, that is an old address. But if enough people are interested, perhaps they might make up a set of just those articles at a reasonable price.

Back issues (or photo-copies) are available from the FML. From the FML website:
Are you looking to complete your Ferrari Market Letter collection with back issues? Chances are, we have them! Email Chad Ensz at ferrarimarketletter@gmail.com for issue availability and pricing information.

In looking through my back issues to find these articles, I found several others that I want to go back and read. I've never been able to buy a copy of the FML Tech Tips book. If the FML updated and republished it, I would be first in line to buy it.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Dyke - Do you own these articles or does the FML? I would be happy to help you reproduce them, as long as you get fairly compensated and we don't step on the FML's toes. Also, through the GTE Register and Newsletter, I have the mailing lists and PayPal setup to handle simple sales. PM me is you want some help. I have the FML's and the book, if that makes things easier.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: I do not know exactly "who owns" the articles, as Gerald and I were good friends and we worked together on many things over the years. I personally have no problem with you copying the articles and getting them out to those that could benefit from the information. The times have changed to where this forum is one of the few places that owners of the older Ferraris still work on the cars themselves. Forty years ago, there was so little knowledge that we all had to band together and share what each of us could learn, hence the Tech Tips.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Dyke. You are a real gent. When it comes to the old Maranello cars, it's all about fiddling with them. Driving them is fun too, of course, but it's not just the driving, because if it were, there are plenty of cars that offer driving pleasure for a fraction of the cost.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote:Thanks Dyke. You are a real gent. When it comes to the old Maranello cars, it's all about fiddling with them. Driving them is fun too, of course, but it's not just the driving, because if it were, there are plenty of cars that offer driving pleasure for a fraction of the cost.

john
Hi John,

You're really at an advantage if you like fiddling with your cars because paying someone to do it can get very expensive. When Francois and I test and tune a car, we try our best to get it to run right as quickly as we can understanding that most of our customers would freak from the time it sometimes takes to get a car PERFECT! The same goes for everything else on these cars from fitting trim pieces to getting the paint just right. We try our best to get things right, often not charging for the real amount if time it takes to get it right so we're happy with the results. Only a minority of people understand how many hours it takes to get things perfect, the rest can live with "pretty good!"

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Hello Tom Wilson,
If you would publish Dykse tech tips,
I could offer you the original Weber Catolog to copy from 1974( 4th edition)
This one descriped all V8 and V12 available carbs mainly for 275GTB 2-4 ,330/ 365GT ,Fiat dino, Maseratie V8, and V12 lambo.
With compleet descroption how to adjust
see pictures can send by post if interested.
the book doesnt have a ISBN number and was only available for the original repair shops .
and writen in ENGLISH .
PM me every thing for free of course.
Even Pierce Manifold could have this one.
Weber give to me when I bought the last 40DCL- 6 Carbs(36) (1982 BOLOGNE).
ciao
C.
Attachments
IMG_0304.jpg
IMG_0304.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 27089 times
IMG_0305.jpg
IMG_0305.jpg (60.11 KiB) Viewed 27089 times
IMG_0306.jpg
IMG_0306.jpg (83.29 KiB) Viewed 27089 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

One of the nice Quotations:
All operatons must be done by SKILLED serviceman with a fire extingguisher by hand.
Did they have so less trust in ther own products?

C.
Attachments
front page .its use you can see
front page .its use you can see
IMG_0302.jpg (41.57 KiB) Viewed 27089 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

tyang wrote:
John Vardanian wrote:Thanks Dyke. You are a real gent. When it comes to the old Maranello cars, it's all about fiddling with them. Driving them is fun too, of course, but it's not just the driving, because if it were, there are plenty of cars that offer driving pleasure for a fraction of the cost.

john
Hi John,

You're really at an advantage if you like fiddling with your cars because paying someone to do it can get very expensive. When Francois and I test and tune a car, we try our best to get it to run right as quickly as we can understanding that most of our customers would freak from the time it sometimes takes to get a car PERFECT! The same goes for everything else on these cars from fitting trim pieces to getting the paint just right. We try our best to get things right, often not charging for the real amount if time it takes to get it right so we're happy with the results. Only a minority of people understand how many hours it takes to get things perfect, the rest can live with "pretty good!"

Tom
Hi Tom, you said it so well, I don't think I could have summarized it any better. It's about the difference between GOOD and PERFECT. It's not that Sicard or Ottis cannot do as good a job as me, but the difference is that their time is worth money and mine isn't. We were asking Dyke sometime earlier about valve lash setting and how much out of roundness was acceptable. Well, the pro will check to see if the roller is healthy and he’ll set the clearance. Someone like me will take out the rocker saddle put it on dial indicator jig to measure every quadrant of the roller, then will set the clearance on an average of the four quadrants. Now at the end of the day, will all this extra work make any difference to a boulevard cruiser, of course not. But did it offer me immeasurable amusement, you bet your socks it did.

john
PF Coupe