Door panel kick plate covers for 250 GTE

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Rudy van Daalen Wetters

side kickplates

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I noticed a posting from 330 America. I am missing ths side kickplates but were they on the 250 gte? I have no idea since my interior was redone and it has no side plates at present.

If I should have them on my car I can split the cost with "330 America"

I could not e-mail him direct for some reason.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
enio45

Kick Panels

Post by enio45 »

OK guys - - I have taken about 10 pics of my 330 GT panels and have marked on the back of one of the panels all the demension. Fundamenatlly the L&R are exactly the same. Each notch is about 1/2 wide and 1/8th deep. Spacing between notches slightly varies as the pictures show.

Now - considering there are 10 pics, im not sure how to best get these to everyone.......maybe Tom has some idea. I can send individually to anyone interested. Send me an email to
eemonti@us.ibm.com and once i get most of your ID's I'll send the pics.

Also - to get a price on the cutting - ill need to know how many we are getting for each model and then we go for a quanity deal. From what Paul Leonard has indicated when he did his some yrs ago, it was $50.00 to cut his.

OK let me know - - Ed
330 GT 8289 - -
330 America

Kick Panels Found

Post by 330 America »

All - I spoke with Tom at Danchuk today and he says that Tom Wilson visited him a week ago and a deal has been negotiated where all of us (330 America, 250 GTE, etc.) owners can get the uncut aluminum sheets that Danchuk uses to create their 1957 Bel Air side panels.

And now the best part -- a 9" wide by 72" long sheet is only $139.95 (USD)! One sheet should be enough to do both Ferrari door panels, as I'm told the height of the Ferrari kick panels are about 8.5" and it would appear that 36" (3 feet) for each door panel should cover the length.

I am going to order a single sheet for myself today as it looks like there's no need to "pool our buying" power by combining orders. The Danchuk part number for ordering is 573P.

Danchuk is located in California (8 hours behind GMT for our European viewers), and their phone number is 800-648 9554 (www.danchuk.com).

Steve Patti
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)
330 America

Ferrari Kick Panels

Post by 330 America »

Disregard my last posting as I overlooked Tom Wilson's posting. However, I've given you guys the phone number and part number you need for ordering so it looks like we don't need to both Tom Wilson with aggregating our buying.

What's weird is that Tom at Danchuk said he thought the height was 8.5", but the pictures posted on this site suggest the Ferrari kick panels are slightly higher....for my needs, I think these will be close enough.

Anyway -- thanks to Tom Wilson and Tom Yang and good luck to everyone on the installation.

SP
Steve Patti
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

My 250 GTE (1963, # 4247) panels are roughtly 7 1/2" x 12 1/4" on the top and 10 1/2" on the bottom. This should easily fit on the 8 1/2" wide (useable area) panels Danchuk offers. I thought that the 330's were less than 4" high. Is there yet a third size?

As for the group buy, the reasons were twofold. First, us 250 owners should be able to get 2 1/2 to 3 cars out of one panel. No need to pay $140 when we can split the sheet and get the material for our car for $47 or so. Second, the panels come clearcoated. If we go for anodizing, we would have to have a special order made without the clearcoat, which should not be a problem. So, if we find a cutter, I will be happy to buy as much material as needed, have it all shipped to the cutter and get everything done in one shot.

I talked to Tom at Danchuk and confirmed that they had added the stock material to the catalogue with it's own part number, so anybody can buy it directly. I guess I was pretty convincing when I said there was a market out there! Wonder if I can get a commission...
Racerrad

Post by Racerrad »

The other reason I'm interested is I don't have any panels to start from, so having the panels cut is important to me.

I am not sure what the advantage of anodizing the panels are. Could someone explain that to me?

Thanks, Rad
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

The advantages of anodizing are twofold: 1, it is the way it was originally done (most of the exposed aluminum trim pieces should have an anodized surface); 2, my understanding is that the process generates an ultra-hard oxide surface that acts as a protectant which is more durable than clearcoat.

Anodization is a fairly simple though toxic dipping process. The price is usually per bucket of parts so it should be reasonable if we anodize all of the orders as a batch

I hope this helps,

Art S.
330GT

Post by 330GT »

A short introduction to what anodizing is and how it protects the aluminum can be seen at:
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/lcd_ano.pdf

This is a 1.9 MB Adobe PDF file (so have a fast internet connection). Page 3 has the information on the chemical process that goes on with anodizing.

Regards, Kerry
enio45

Kick Panels 330 GT 2+2

Post by enio45 »

For a reference - each of the 330 panels on my car are 3 9/16 height and 38 11/16 width. This is currently being verified by another 330 car to see if they are all the same.

Let me know if anyone wants some pics with specs on the notches?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
330 America

Post by 330 America »

Guys - got my car today (finally) and will have the kick plates cut and applied by my body shop in a week. The length looks to be less than 12" (my door panels have a long map pocket) so I'll have plenty of left over aluminum for at least one more set of 250GTE kick plates (perhaps 2 cars worth). Its a lot shorter than the full door panel length of the 64+ 330GT's (we compared one today).

If someone wants to buy the left over sheet, let me know.
Steve Patti
330 America

Post by 330 America »

Got my kick panels replaced using the Danchuk aluminum and it looks simply awesome (I can't tell the difference from the stock Ferrari plates).

I've got the majority of the 6' panel left and would sell it for $75 (plus S&H) to whoever wants it.

Call me.
Steve Patti
buddy

Post by buddy »

GUYS, I DID MY CAR ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF AGO ( I WAS ONE OF THE FIRST GUYS ALONG WITH PAUL LEONARD TO PESTER DANCHUCK) AND I FOUND A LOCAL GUY WITH A METAL BREAK. A ROOFING GUY FOR METAL OR COPPER WOULD BE A GOOD PLACE TO LOOK. THEY HAVE TO CUT IT ON A BREAK OR IT WILL BUCKLE. DO NOT TRY TO CUT IT WITH SHEERS OR YOU WILL RUIN IT. DID ANYONE EVER THINK OF GETTING THE SIDE OF THE SEATS PLASTIC CHROMED ? THERE ARE SOME AD'S IN THE 50TH. ANNIVERSERY ISSUE OF HEMMINGS THAT I THINK ARE WORTH LOOKING INTO. MIGHT BE A SOLUTION TO THE METAL FOIL AND TOOLING UP FOR IT . BUDDY #9667
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

OK, here is where we stand on the kick plates. We now have the measurements for a Series III 250 GTE, a Series II 330 GTE and a 1967 365 GT 2+2. Ed Montini is taking them to the cutter to get prices. Check the following to see if the measurements are correct for your car. If not, send me your measurements and I will add them to the pool.

Series III 250 GTE: http://wagnerstreet.com/Toms%20Photos/K ... ements.jpg

Series II 330 GTE: http://wagnerstreet.com/Toms%20Photos/3 ... te%201.JPG , http://wagnerstreet.com/Toms%20Photos/3 ... te%202.JPG , http://wagnerstreet.com/Toms%20Photos/3 ... te%203.JPG

1967 365 GT 2+2: http://wagnerstreet.com/Toms%20Photos/3 ... -Plate.jpg

The raw material costs $140.00 per 72" sheet and looks like a 250 will take 1/3 of a sheet for both sides, a 330 will take a little over 1/2 a sheet for both sides and a 365 will take 3/5 of a sheet per side. We will talk to our cutter to get the most economical combination of cuts to make the parts we need. I have heard estimates to cut from $50 per unit to $100 per unit. I would assume price will vary according to the size of the part.

We are also looking into the cost of anodizing the material and asking if it will discolor it in any way.

Please look over the measurements and estimated costs (add a little for shipping the material to the cutter and the part back to you) to see if this will work. Once we finalize the price, we will need to quickly get a count of how many are in and for what.
treue

Post by treue »

Hi Tom (Wilson),

Series II 330GTE?? Could you mean a Series II 330GT 2+2? I think only the 250GT 2+2 was referred to as a 250GTE. The Series II 330GT 2+2 uses a left and right panel about 3-1/2" x 39" .

Thanks for your efforts.

Tom (Treue)
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

My mistake. I thought the 330 was called a GTE just like the 250. That is what I like about this board, you always learn something new!