Refinishing Ferrari wheels

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Refinishing Ferrari wheels

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Well, maybe i'd better not put the cart before the proverbial horse. So before I get the tires, I think I'll refinish my "slotted" wheels. They're not bent, but the finish is pitted and of course, there are a few nicks from wayward hammers. I called one local place who said that the pits can't be removed because of the aluminum nature of the wheel. I'd also like to refinish the spinners. Any suggestions? thanx again. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
330GT

Post by 330GT »

I have been told (but didn't need to do it on car) that the alloy wheels can be treated like a car body, i.e. bondo can be used to fill the pits. Then finish as usual. I would glass bead the exterior of the wheels and then clean out the pits well so there is a clean surface.

Remember that these wheels are porous. If you remove the paint between the rims, you have to repaint that area too. Otherwise you will be seeing bubbles through your paint.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

Try to find a painter that understands how porous aluminum can be. I've heard of techniques that employ heat to force some of the moisture out of the alloy before painting.

Knock offs should be sent to Cork Adams at Precision Wire wheels. Tell him we sent you. He'll have your knock offs looking like new.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I sent my knockoffs and also my alloy wheels to Cork a few years ago. They look great. He also had to repair a rim chip. I am very satisfied with his work.
1967 330 GTC #9313
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

Steve,

The Campagnolo slotted wheels are magnesium alloy, not aluminum. I think magnesium is subject to corrosion and, after stripping, inspect for deterioration. I do not know if you can weld magnesium, but if it burns, I understand it is very difficult to put out!

Chris
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

FYI: Magnesium requires a Type D fire extinguisher, most Extinguishers are Type A,B,C. If you go on ferrarichat, there is a picture of a P4 that had a wheel fire while racing at LeMans - not pretty!

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx so much for the help. I was surprised to hear that these are magnesium. thanx again. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

I paint 2-3 sets of Ferrari wheels a year and have painfully leaned some of the secrets.
As far as welding, Mag welding rod is available and is so cool because of how light it is that is and I have had sucess welding major curb damage. Especially important is using the correct primer that etches and seals against the porosity and off-gassing.
You can paint the wheels and make them look great for a short time but without the correct steps taken they will pop and blister within 2-4 years. All the stripping and effort isn't worth it unless you do it correctly.