Tom did well at the Nationals, but did you know....

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

sam231

Post by sam231 »

Tom, I am sorry, but I have to tell.

Althought Tom did not get a Coppa Bella Macchina at the show, he did win something VERY BIG. At the awards dinner Saturday night Parker Hall presented Tom in absentia the Peter Coltrin Special Merit Award. As you all probably know, Peter was a very respected automotive journalist who loved Ferraris and helped to establish the marque's reputation. Parker cited Tom's work on restoring his car in public and further that the website is a MAJOR resource for all who love Ferraris.

WAY TO GO TOM!

PS, maybe he will show it to us @ the Party!?!
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
tyang

Post by tyang »

I knew something was up when Sam Smith, my class judge said that it would be a good idea if I stayed for the FCA Dinner Saturday night. Unfortunately, I already made the decision to head home Friday morning. I had been away from my family all too long after a week in Monterey, and now the FCA Concours.

I hope the people at FCA understand my reason for missing the Dinner. I am truly honored they gave me this award!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DBR330GT

Post by DBR330GT »

Tom,

Way to go!

Remember when I was standing next to you when you were handed the card that said you got an award and I mentioned an award of special merit? This is what I thought you deserved and I am glad you got it!!

Dan
1967 330 GT 2+2 #9119, 2011 BMW 1M, 2002 BMW M3
Dr. Ian Levy

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Greetings
Form across the pond may I add my own congratulations.
I have read with interest the esteem that Tom is held in by the Ferrari community in the US. I travelled a long way to meet him last year & would say it was a real pleasure. His quiet,friendly & unassumuing manner hides a huge, practical knowledge of what he has actually done with his own two hands. That knowledge is now broadening withe help of respected experts.
I found Tom's site quite by accident some years ago & he has always willing to help whenever asked.
Tom's opinion & advice will continue to be much sought after & valued & his award is very well deserved
Regards
Ian L
1972 365 GTC4 s/n 15989
http://www.ferrari365gtc4.co.uk/
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I think this award was very appropriate and very well deserved. Tom has not only demonstrated that Ferrari Restoration can be done without “gold plated screwdrivers” (though I happen to know that he has one!) but has also given us a resource to help us do the same. As the last 7 or 8 years of this site and some very recent posts have shown, there is still room in the Ferrari world for people with greasy hands. Thank you Tom.

And Ian, I we can meet again at the gathering this year!
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks again guys for the support. Sam Hallowell called me today to tell me that my award is in mail, so I'm excited to see what it looks like. Hopefully it's nice enough to be allowed in the house proper! I recently won a two foot high trophy from a local car show that was relegated to the garage!

You guys should all feel a part of this award, as you've all supported me in the last 8 years of restoration, and without that, I may have never finished the car! So as we all toil away in our respective garages, know that we are not alone in our enthusiasm!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Congratulations Tom!
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
400iGuy

Congratulations! Well Deserved

Post by 400iGuy »

:D This special award couldn't have gone to a more deserving individual. I've been following Tom's journey for a number of years and had to opportunity to meet Tom in Monterey a couple of years ago. Tom's effort to keep us all informed via this website (not to say making a career change to have more Ferrari experiences) has been extraordinary.

Thank you Tom and keep up the good work.

Al Cartlidge
Apopka, FL
400iGuy
1984 400iA 50605 Sera Blu/Tan
tyang

Post by tyang »

:D This special award couldn't have gone to a more deserving individual. I've been following Tom's journey for a number of years and had to opportunity to meet Tom in Monterey a couple of years ago. Tom's effort to keep us all informed via this website (not to say making a career change to have more Ferrari experiences) has been extraordinary.

Thank you Tom and keep up the good work.

Al Cartlidge
Apopka, FL
Thanks Al for the kind words. I'm just doing what I love, but it's nice to be recognized. It's also been great to share some of this enthusiasm with people as excited about this stuff as I am!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330 America

One More for Tom

Post by 330 America »

Tom - thanks for the help (given Frank's ailing health) as I finally go the call I've been waiting on for nearly two years..........my seats are done! Gina is going to ship them this month to Symbolic Motorcars for installation into my car.

I understand you pitched in to help Frank with the final front seat recently......thanks!
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)