Help with oil canister

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Help with oil canister

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

We've been putting the PF coupe together, and have question on the canister oil filter mounted on the inner fender. Does the drain line that dumps into the oil pan come out of the bottom of the canister or the side of the canister? This car was partially disassembled when we got it, and the parts book is pretty vague. Looking at the Cal Spyder in our shop, we think it might be backwards. so could one of you guys with a PF coupe take a look for me?

Thanks a ton.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Tom, from looking at Tav.7 in the 250 GT owner's and parts book, it looks like the top pipe goes into the bottom of part 22 (corpo valvola). This looks to be bottom of the bypass valve where it would drain into the block. The pipe from the bottom of the filter goes to the top of the bypass valve, so would be the inlet to the filter. If clogged, the bypass valve would open and just let the oil flow into the sump w/o any filtering.

So I think that the drain line comes from the upper fitting on the filter.

Best I can do since the series 2 coupes and cabs have a different oil filter arrangement.

PS, consider yourself lucky, at least you have a parts book. The series 2 (like the GTEs) never had one.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Tom,

In mine the bottom hose goes to the sump.

I would like to mention that the 128D engine doesn't have a bypass valve. The earlier engine, like the Boano, has a bypass valve, as shown in the Dick Merritt manual, and it shows the arangement in reverse. I haven't seen a shop manual for the 128D engine.

Does your CA Spyder come with a bypass valve? What engine does it have?

Chris Coios has an inside plug PF coupe. Maybe he can chime.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. I'll look at the Cal Spyder for a bypass valve, but I don't think the PF Coupe has a bypass valve.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

I have built a ton of motors as well as race motors over the years and motor logic tells me that the bottom fitting would be for your drain back into the sump. I'm no 250 expert, but any 2 fitting oil cannister apparatus connected to your oiling system would always be setup in this manner.
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
tyang

Post by tyang »

It looks like the consensus is to have the filter drain from the bottom.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
whturner

Post by whturner »

Looks like a standard bypass filter design - many prewar and postwar cars had them as options. The inlet (on the side) generally contained a special fitting to restrict flow so as not to divert too much oil to the filter which would affect system oil pressure. (This was needed when used as an optional accessory on a car with no original provision for oil filtering).
Sometimes this fitting is lost and replaced by one from a hardware store which looks the same but has no restriction, and then oil pressure is too low.

Cheers
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

It looks like this question is answered, but if its not let me know. I can look at mine.

Walgytom
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

The line coming from the top of the filter housing goes to the fitting next to the tensioner on the right front of the engine.

Tom Walgamuth
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

t walgamuth wrote:The line coming from the top of the filter housing goes to the fitting next to the tensioner on the right front of the engine.

Tom Walgamuth
Mine is like that too.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

I made up new oil lines today. Thanks everyone!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053