tow points?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

andrew

tow points?

Post by andrew »

Yesterday, after a nice drive, I shut my car off for a short while a small distance from my house, but she wouldn't fire up to go again. At first, there was clicking, one or two blips, but then nothing. I checked the usual suspects and could find nothing dramatic going on. I retrieved more serious tools and tried ever more things, all to no avail. At a stop sign on the drive, she had also died once, which hasn't happened before.

At any rate, I resigned myself to the flatbed to get her home to delve into the issue, and called AAA. While waiting for them, I thought for the first time about where they would hook up to load onto the flat bed and wasn't pleased with any of the options. So, my question -- what have the rest of you done about this? I'd be curious where those of you who have had to get towed/loaded have hooked up, how, and with what...

By the way, before the truck came, I jiggled and pushed the starter simultaneously (rather than just pushing) and she fired up. I quickly ran her home, and canceled the tow truck. It would seem that I have an ignition switch problem to sort out now...
'64 330 America s/n 5109
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

I don't know if they are the same but I disassembled my ignition switch in my pf coupe and repaired it.

Tom W
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Andrew,

I carry a pair of tow straps that are about a foot or two long and have a D ring on each end. They loop around a lower control arm for the hook on a flat bed. Whatever you choose to hook to, do not use the sway bar. It's too weak to pull on.

Good luck with the switch.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

tyang wrote:Hi Andrew,

...Whatever you choose to hook to, do not use the sway bar. It's too weak to pull on.

Tom
Also make sure that they don't use the main tie rod or you end up like this:
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Andrew,

If a Ferrari dies close to home, it is de rigueur that it be pushed
home, slowly and majestically...

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
andrew

Post by andrew »

That may be the case, Rudy, but I live on a steep hill now...and the thought of the Ferrari rolling backwards, out of control, and at accelerating speed as my crushed body flails uselessly in its wake didn't seem terribly dignified.
'64 330 America s/n 5109
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

How things change, Andrew. I must have been harking back to your
simpler, easier times.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705