self levelers

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

dick sands

self levelers

Post by dick sands »

Needing repair or replacement for the self levelers on my Queen Mother, I have found, with a lot of help from Bryan P, that FJB Ltd (623-566-1626) will rebuild them for $1017.00, or they can be replaced with the Monroe max air shock, part number MA768. This shock is the closest fit, you will need to change out the bottom bushing insert from 12mm to 14mm to fit on the bottom stud. My son is making this change today, so I'll be installing them very soon and I'll report back on how they are working out. The Monroe cost was $131.00 so the Koni repair will have to wait for a while. Thank you, Bryan, for your invaluable input on this. dick sands
dick sands, 365gt 2+2
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

I rebuilt mine myself. Cost is approx $120 for the pair. This is for the O Rings (there are about 10 in each leveler) and the seals (3 in each). They have a huge number of parts (maybe over 50 in each) but you can slowly pull them right down to individual bits. There are hidden O Rings and "tubes within tubes" so take your time and make sure you pull them right down to individual bits to find all the hidden O Rings. One missed one and they will not work properly. I will be in Monterey this week so if you will be there you can bring them along and I can pull them apart for you. I will need circlip pliers, prong pliers to take the top cap off (you can also use a pipe wrench for that but it will damage the cap), a vise, allen keys to undo the side cap screws, and dental levers (these are very pointy things that you use to pry out the O Rings. They are also used to scrape plaque off teeth.).
I will be at the TY party on Thursday night with Dave and Richard Romer. SoCal owners.
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
Dan Sands

Post by Dan Sands »

John,
Do you happen to know the size or part number of the seals and o-rings? I'll have Dick send the levelers to me for a rebuild.
Thanks, Dan
Dan Sands
1969 365 GT 2+2 12629
dick sands

self levelers

Post by dick sands »

John - Thank you for the very kind offer. I won't be in Monterey but I have a wonderful son who will do the job, thanks again. Dick Sands
dick sands, 365gt 2+2
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

I had the seals custom made. Koni will NOT supply them and the shafts are a Koni size. I think 21.85mm diameter. The O rings are standard sizes. I can not remember all the sizes but there are about 15 in each. You will have to take samples to an O Ring supplier to get replacements. Please be aware that these things are very tricky but real easy when you know how. You MUST remove the 2 side grub screws BEFORE you start the dissassembly. Be aware that there are tubes within tubes. You MUST take it down to the absolute single components if you want them to work again. There is a manual on the www.365gtc4.com website. That should give you an idea how complicated they are inside. Make sure the filter inside is clear.
Good luck. Take your time.
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.