Fall Party

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Hi guys, a very nice time at Tom,s. As always a fine group .Good weather ,good food and good talk in a relaxed atmosphere. A few new faces which is always nice. Thanks to Tom and to those who traveled from near and far to participate. Poor Yale took it on the chin again this year. Not that I want trouble for anyone but we really should rotate the mechanical trouble just for fairness sake .Do hope you made it home OK Yale .For all those unable to make it this year keep next fall in mind. Regards to all , Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
wilmesj

Post by wilmesj »

It was good to see everyone yesterday (and some of you this morning as well)!

Hopefully there have been no more mechanical problems since I left the show :)
josh

Post by josh »

Huh. Just noticed that I have two accounts (leftovers from testing something a while back). I'll use 'josh' instead of 'wilmesj' in the future. It seems more friendly.

--Josh
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

looks like everyone had a great time and that there was a good turnout - I am sorry I could not make it.

a couple of observations;
Mark D; you have my undying admiration for driving the pants off that queen mother! You drive it the way it was meant to be driven.

Kerry - I didn't make the connection until I read your post - but the Mondial clutch went up in smoke when you were within shouting distance!!!! curses, Chesbro!!

Tom - nice shot of you working on Yale's car - did you wear your extra-scratchy belt buckle for the party???
1968 365 GT 2+2
s/n 11199
1955 s.II 500 Mondial
s/n 0556(0446)MD
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
tyang

Post by tyang »

Bryan P wrote: Tom - nice shot of you working on Yale's car - did you wear your extra-scratchy belt buckle for the party???
Sin of Sins! I tried my best to let Richard Garre work on the side of the car with the blanket, but we soon found I had a better reach from my side!

I want to thank everyone for coming to the Party on Saturday, and for participating on the drive on Sunday. We had a great turnout for both days.

Yale was not the only person to experience a mechanical problem as my 330 America started acting up on the way down! I tick started coming from the valve train about 10 miles from our destination. It sounded like one of the tappet lock nuts worked itself loose and was causing excessive valve lash. I made it to the show, but will have to deal with it sometime this week. I hope it will be a simple fix, but you never know. I'll explain the details in my upcoming posts.

I'm going to get some sleep!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
steve lapp

Post by steve lapp »

Hi Yale and Tom Y:

Yale - Thanks so much for the great ride in your 330, it was a treat, and neat to learn that your car was probably made within a few weeks of mine in 1965! I now look forward someday to an engine and rear suspension rebuild in my car and experiencing the formidable acceleration that your machine has. I think I can speak for everyone else that we appreciate your suffering at your expense and we enjoyed the beer too!

Tom Y - Thanks for your efforts, the tent, the great food, the lovely location, the accomodation, the community you have created and the microphone placement stories!

Great to have met everyone else and I hope you had a great drive and tour on Sunday afternoon. Despite having hung out with such a bunch of subversives, the Canadian border folks let us back into Canada.

Cheers
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2002 Prius, 56 Healey 100-4, 74 BMW 2002, 330 GT 2+2 s/n 6241, 54 Dodge M152 (listed by decreasing fuel economy)

Post by 8339 »

Tom, thanks again, I had a great time. Glad to hear you made to the event, let me know what you found on the valve train. I had a great ride with Mark, we even stopped at Steamtown to look at some massive steam locomotives, if you haven't seen one in person they are just amazing. Great seeing and meeting everyone there, hope to see you all at the spring vintage get together here in Maryland.

Richard Garre, Radcliffe Motorcar Company
perry911113

Great Saturday and Sunday venue

Post by perry911113 »

I want to thank Tom for a great party on Saturday and putting together a nice ride to the Stamford show on Sunday.

Great bunch of guys that share the passion for the old V12's. Until next time.

Peter Perry
www.perry911113@verizon.net
518-210-1869
1972 911T Coupe
1965 230SL Light Ivory
1959 MGA driver
1960 MGA project
1971 Caprice
1970 280SE Coupe
1975 Maserati Bora gone and greatly missed
1964 Morgan 4/4GT
1969 Ferrari 365GT 2+2 12223 SOLD
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

Tom, the party was great. Lot's of fun and lot's of great car talk. A few thoughts:

1. Loved the way you set up Yale's car not to start so we would have some hands on! It's taking care of the small details that makes a good party great.

2. When figuring who travelled the farthest don't forget that I came via I83 to I81 and over. That adds 40 miles. I don't want to lose out on the BIG award. I think it was 440 miles each way with the sidestep to pick up and drop off Richard.

3. My wife would like to have a word with Sam. After letting me drive his C4 I mentioned starting to look for one and she is not happy!!

4. On the way up through PA Richard and I saw smoke in the distance and it turned out to be Steamtown in Scranton. This is a fowmer DL&W railroad yard that is run by the park service. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamtown_ ... toric_Site
They operate several steam locomotives. On the way back we had some time and stopped in. Very cool place indeed. The shops are a mechanical guys dream. Richard wanted to see if we could load the 20 ton press into the 365 GT but it wouldn't fit. Anyway could be a great local for a Tomyang.netter meet???

5. I got a little concerned sitting in Tom's kitchen late Saturday when the discussion morphed into bowel movements, back excercises, viagara, and the early bird specials at Denny's. Are we really getting that old??

6. I hope I drank all the beer (Sam Adams) that I put in the freezer to get cold. Otherwise Tom had a mess on his hands to explain to his wife.

7. Was it just me or did Warren's car seem happier after a bath?

8. It amazes me that just 2 hours outside of NY City you can be so far in the sticks. I swear we were getting ready to film Deliverance II - The Yankee Chronicles

9. Tom (Wilson) - excellent planning to be here and miss the great flea invasion of 2008. Still married?

10. Anyway had a great time and love putting faces with names. Now hop I can remember all of them (see #5 above).
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Great time Tom, thank you for being you, and hosting a wonderful event. Mark, thank you for a great drive in your 365 2+2. Tight and fast, smaller than it seems from the outside. Yale, glad you made it home, it is time for another to take the fall. Kerry, you missed a good one.

Great to meet so many new Yangsters.

Sam
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
whturner

Party

Post by whturner »

Hi All:

As usual - kudos to you,Tom.

It seems to me that Tom has another calling waiting if he gets tired of old cars. He can organize events!
Was my car happier after a Tom wash (what a host)? Don't know, but at least it didn't look at the "fest" as if a hobo had wandered into a shelter and found a society wedding taking place.
Distances - I had about 1100 miles round trip, and got 15 mpg. But the distance prize is Yale's! Any distance in a car which will not restart trumps mileage just sitting there and steering. A silver medal is appropriate.
I appreciate all of you - there is just NO Ferrari action in my area so you are my hame base.

Cheers
Warren and Judy.
330 GT Series II sn 10069
whturner

Post by whturner »

From Mark:

4. On the way up through PA Richard and I saw smoke in the distance and it turned out to be Steamtown in Scranton. This is a fowmer DL&W railroad yard that is run by the park service. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamtown_ ... toric_Site
They operate several steam locomotives. On the way back we had some time and stopped in. Very cool place indeed. The shops are a mechanical guys dream. Richard wanted to see if we could load the 20 ton press into the 365 GT but it wouldn't fit. Anyway could be a great local for a Tomyang.netter meet???

Second the motion: They also have steam powewred tours sometimes.

On the subject of Steam Engines Check out these sites. Anyone who could adjust the Walschaert valve gear could handle tuning a 6 carb Ferrari.
http://home.new.rr.com/trumpetb/loco/wdiagram.html
http://home.new.rr.com/trumpetb/loco/rodsr.html

Cheers
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069
tyang

Post by tyang »

You Guys are all more than welcome! It was my pleasure.

I love the core group of guys that come out these events, and always love bringing more new faces into the fold. I'm lucky to be a part of this.

Mark:
I think I have the best of both worlds. My area feels like a million miles from anywhere, but is just 2 hours from one of the greatest cities in the world!

Don't worry, you drank all the beer! Luckily, you didn't drink any wine, so I have plenty left of Sam's stash!

Thanks again guys for coming, and I'm looking forward to the next one!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

I wish I could have been there. Wrong coast, I guess. And Tom, L.A. isn't such a bad city either. Good weather at least.
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
tyang

Post by tyang »

Not only do I have to thank everyone who showed up, but here are some more:

Howard, my neighbor to letting me use his field for the party. It was a perfect setting to park Ferraris and set up a tent for a nice lunch. Even the approaches onto the field were Ferrari friendly!

Parker Hall. Thanks for sending the care package along with the catalogs. Your BBQ was reserved for the party after the party that went late into the evening, and was very good. One of these days, you're going to have to come yourself.

Alan and Steve at Classic Car Gallery. Thanks for providing coffee and bagels and giving us a place to meet before the Stamford show.

Paul and Darry Bova, the event organizers of Festa Di Ferrari in Stamford. My 330 America is currently parked in their garage awaiting my coming to pick her up. It was the only way for me to attend the show in Stamford, and still make a Wedding in NYC on Sunday.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053