Crank Balancer Bolt

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

gsjohnson

Crank Balancer Bolt

Post by gsjohnson »

Could someone tell me the bolt head size for the crank/balancer bolt? Thanks in advance.
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi GS,

I forget exactly what size it is, but you'll probably have to modify the socket because it needs a thin wall to fit down inside the crank pulley.

If this question is to get the engine set to PM 1/6 on your flywheel, you can do this by bumping the starter. Get a remote starter switch and hook it up from the positive terminal to the starter terminal on the fuse panel. I'm not sure if it's the same on the interim cars, but on GTEs it's the second fuse from the top on the left side. The 1-6 bank distributor should point around 6 o'clock as you get close (there should be a timing mark on the distributor). Look down in the flywheel window for PM 1/6. There is also a mark for PM 7/12 when #7 is at TDC.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

The front crank nut should be a 37mm head, and a Craftsman (Sears) 1and7/16 inch socket can be modified easilly to work. Taper the open end back about 3/8 inch with a grinder and it should fit right on the bolt head.
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

tyang wrote:Hi GS,

I forget exactly what size it is, but you'll probably have to modify the socket because it needs a thin wall to fit down inside the crank pulley.

If this question is to get the engine set to PM 1/6 on your flywheel, you can do this by bumping the starter. Get a remote starter switch and hook it up from the positive terminal to the starter terminal on the fuse panel. I'm not sure if it's the same on the interim cars, but on GTEs it's the second fuse from the top on the left side. The 1-6 bank distributor should point around 6 o'clock as you get close (there should be a timing mark on the distributor). Look down in the flywheel window for PM 1/6. There is also a mark for PM 7/12 when #7 is at TDC.

Tom
Thanks Tom-
Doesn't the flywheel timing mark need to be precise for setting the timing acurately? I ask this because wouldn't the use of a remote starter switch prevent the marks from being precisely located, ie. a lot of trial and error to land on the precise flywheel location mark?
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi GS,

Once you get the marks close, you can put the car in 4th gear, and push the car forward to get the marks exactly where you want them.

It helps to pull the plugs so you're not working against the compression of the engine.

Tom

Thanks Tom-
Doesn't the flywheel timing mark need to be precise for setting the timing acurately? I ask this because wouldn't the use of a remote starter switch prevent the marks from being precisely located, ie. a lot of trial and error to land on the precise flywheel location mark?[/quote]
'63 330 America #5053