Lusso rear shock rebuild

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

JAV

Lusso rear shock rebuild

Post by JAV »

After getting a quote to rebuild my rear shocks with new bushings, piston and boots of over $300 a piece, I decided to try pull one apart to see how bad it was. Hopefully the pics speak for themselves.

Of everything I did, the hardest part was applying the Koni decals... I ruined 3 before I got this one on. Looks like I'll need to buy more.
John Viveiros
1964 250 GTL
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

Looks good! What was you cost in labor? Did you have the special spaner wrench to take them apart?
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Koni sticker 3 millimeters low. Otherwise, very nice job.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi John,

Did you end up with the replica boots from Dunn, or did you find a good substitute? I'm inspired.

john
PF Coupe
JAV

Post by JAV »

Since the labor was mine and my sons, it was free (and very enjoyable). I made 2 spanners - you can just see one of them (with pins) in the lower right corner of picture #2. There's another slotted spanner for the shaft seal compression collar.

These boots were not from Dunn (and that's why I placed the decal a little lower... nothing gets by you - RUDY). These boots have a few more pleats so they sit about an inch lower on the shock tube - so I lowered the decal.

John - I found a couple of reasonable options on the boots. There is a boot which is almost identical to the repro as far as size and pleat count goes. But to get the boot - you have to buy the whole shock (Gabriel Max Control mono tube shock). It's still fairly reasonable as the shocks can be had new for about $65 /pair delivered (versus about $190 for the repro boots alone). The only thing I didn't like was that those boots were a very thin rubber and seemed a little flimsy. They were the closest I found looks wise.

The boots I used were from a steering stabilizer and with the exception of having a few more pleats, they fit perfectly and are a very heavy duty rubber. They were in stock locally at an off road shop and at $12/pair, I bought them and figured if I didn't like the looks, no great loss.
John Viveiros
1964 250 GTL
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

I think that's a great alternative for the shock boots. How many judges are going to count the pleats, let alone know how many the original ones had?

Good on you.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I agree, the shock boots look perfect and for the price, the smart way
to go.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

JAV,

I will (later) need to ask you for the part number for the boots and the store chain. where you got them.

So now, I would like to challenge you to the next task... let's rebuild our own Borranis. They are done commercially for $650 per.

john
PF Coupe
JAV

Post by JAV »

Some freind- here I'm caught in the "midas swell" zone - trying to draw the line somewhere, and you kick the line for me? I'm afraid that one will have to wait... I'd like to go to one of Toms parties but since only interesting cars are allowed, (and I only have one), I need to wrap up some tasks- not find new ones.

Email me on the boots if you want some as these were new - old stock... the newer ones have a slit in the collar and use a black zip tie to hold them on (yuk).
John Viveiros
1964 250 GTL
tyang

Post by tyang »

JAV wrote:Some freind- here I'm caught in the "midas swell" zone - trying to draw the line somewhere, and you kick the line for me? I'm afraid that one will have to wait... I'd like to go to one of Toms parties but since only interesting cars are allowed, (and I only have one), I need to wrap up some tasks- not find new ones.

Email me on the boots if you want some as these were new - old stock... the newer ones have a slit in the collar and use a black zip tie to hold them on (yuk).
Hi John,

ALL cars are interesting, and ALL cars and EVERYONE is invited to any of my parties!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
JAV

Post by JAV »

Tom,

Sorry- that probably came off as an indictment and it wasn't meant that way.

I'm sure I would be welcome but as a "new Yangster", I would not want to show up for the ball dressed in rags. Those are my insecurities and in no way reflect on you as a host.

I hope you took no offense?.
John Viveiros
1964 250 GTL
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I always come to Tom's party "dressed in rags" and I have a great time...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

JAV wrote:Tom,

Sorry- that probably came off as an indictment and it wasn't meant that way.

I'm sure I would be welcome but as a "new Yangster", I would not want to show up for the ball dressed in rags. Those are my insecurities and in no way reflect on you as a host.

I hope you took no offense?.
Rest assured, I'm not that easily offended! Trust me, you'll know when you pissed me off!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

JAV I you are interested in pissing Tom off tell him how great the valve seats in your engine look . Just dont mention my name . Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
JAV

Post by JAV »

afwrench wrote:JAV I you are interested in pissing Tom off tell him how great the valve seats in your engine look . Just dont mention my name . Mike
AW- that's just cold.

Turn your eyes Tom, nothing to see here.
John Viveiros
1964 250 GTL