275/330 column mounted turn signal stalks.

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

275/330 column mounted turn signal stalks.

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Paul Baber

Does anyone out there know of a manufacturer who is reproducing the light and turn signal stalks for the 275/330 cars. These fit on the steering column just behind the steering wheel. With age these brake at the base and no amount of glueing seems to work. Any info will be gratefully recieved.
wwwboard

Re: 275/330 column mounted turn signal stalks.

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tim

Mine broke through the plastic at the end of the metal stalk.  It was that way when I bought the car 26 years ago.  I had some carbon fiber samples (new technology at the time).  I cleaned everything and coated the break with epoxy.  Before the epoxy set, I laid some of the carbon fiber across the break on all sides then wraped it with more.  It won't pass concours scrutiny but it has worked for 26 years.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

I had the same problem and found a model casting place that made a mold and cast a new end onto my stalk.  You can read about the process using the link below.
Light switch stalk
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by paul baber

Thanks for the info... However I have 9 clients who need a full set of these and I am trying to source  some repro ones.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Paul,

Are you Paul Baber from London? Welcome to my site!

It sounds like you have enough clients who need it to have this part made. Perhaps Kerry still has the mold for his replacement, and would like to reproduce this part? Does it have to be plastic? Will a cast metal piece interfere with the electrics? If this is such a common failure, there must me hndreds of cars that need this piece.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Paul,

Are you Paul Baber from London? Welcome to my site!

It sounds like you have enough clients who need it to have this part made. Perhaps Kerry still has the mold for his replacement, and would like to reproduce this part? Does it have to be plastic? Will a cast metal piece interfere with the electrics? If this is such a common failure, there must me hndreds of cars that need this piece.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

Hi I have been looking for the turn signal switch for a couple of years now they are very hard to come by. and when You find one good luck paying less than 800.00 bucks. http://www.italparts.com/start.
has a NOS one for around $ 1000.00 pretty steep!!!!!!!!
my wife runs a plastic injection molding company in So Cal and I have shown the pieces to the mold makers to see how much it would cost to reproduce.
let me know what kind of real interest there is and maybe I will have a small run made
Zac
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

Hi I have been looking for the turn signal switch for a couple of years now they are very hard to come by. and when You find one good luck paying less than 800.00 bucks. http://www.italparts.com/start.
has a NOS one for around $ 1000.00 pretty steep!!!!!!!!
my wife runs a plastic injection molding company in So Cal and I have shown the pieces to the mold makers to see how much it would cost to reproduce.
let me know what kind of real interest there is and maybe I will have a small run made
Zac
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Art

I have been working with a machinist who feels he can reproduce the headlight and turning signal stalks out of Delrin (similar in appearance to origninal material but much tougher) using a CNC machine.  He is taking measurements from an original assemby.  If the trial pieces are acceptable, he can run off as many as are needed.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bryan P

I don't know if they are the same, but the turn signal stalk on my 365GT2+2 (very late 1967) is also broken - I'd be real interested if someone made a run.
Bryan
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

There's a fellow in southern CA that does a high-quality job rebuilding the switch assemblies.  You pull the whole switch out of the column, including connectors, and send it to him. He usually works through restoration shops.

Rick at Great Marques (650) 366-5082 should be able to broker the work or hook you up with the guy directly.

By the way, epoxy isn't that great at bonding many plastics, including the type in the switch assembly - I rebuilt my own broken switch using Loctite's CA "instant adhesive" for plastics (comes with a primer solvent), and it worked great.

Three days spent rebuilding the column switch is a great way to remember to keep your knee out of the way when entering the car....

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Paul Baber

Thanks for the info. Subject to a sensible price i will take 10 from you as i have many clients with the same problem. I have told them to expect a price circa US$350-400.

Paul
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Paul Baber

Thanks for the info. Subject to a sensible price i will take 10 from you as i have many clients with the same problem. I have told them to expect a price circa US$350-400.

Paul
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Paul Baber

Dear Bryan..See my message prior to this. Subject to a sensible price, I will underwrite 10 ,maybe more. I think everbody who has one of these older cars has the same problem or lives in fear of the stalks braking.

Paul
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Paul Baber

Dear Bryan..See my message prior to this. Subject to a sensible price, I will underwrite 10 ,maybe more. I think everbody who has one of these older cars has the same problem or lives in fear of the stalks braking.

Paul