New House

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

jsa3

New House

Post by jsa3 »

Tom, congrats on your new house! Beautiful terrain and setting. You're lucky to have that built full basement to keep your cars in. It looks to be in really good shape as well - your wife can handle the minor repair contractors and decorating and you can just get right on those cars!

We're going to be moving as well - my wife's father died a year ago and we made the decision to move into his house last December, and have been remodeling ever since, while remaining in our present house.
I'm going to be much better off as well in terms of open and uncluttered
workspace. Basements aren't generally built in Texas, but on this house I have a big, attached, fully finished out and air conditioned 2 car garage with a sink, large workbench, and plenty of room to store our 4Runner and the Ferrari with plenty of workspace around it. I built a carport to house our daily driver Merc. I'm contemplating one of those home car lifts.

Best wishes
Scott
Dallas, Texas
Kris

House

Post by Kris »

Tom,

Congrats on the house! I know exactly how it feels to be calling a place your own. I am in the process of buying my first home (well, a condo) and it's very exciting. It's a big jump for a 24 year old like myself! Unlike many here, I don't yet own a Ferrari. But I'm looking forward to filling the garage with one (or two, or three...) someday! For now, my Mustang will have to suffice.

I also want to say I enjoyed the pics on the engine removal of #4969. I helped a friend earlier this year do an engine in his daily driver (Ford Truck) and what a rewarding day it was when we finally turned the key for the first time!

Keep those pics coming!
Kris
Ruedi

Post by Ruedi »

Hi Tom,

Congrats on the garage and house.

Assuming your garage floor is close to level, you may want to consider a car dolly like GoJak. I've seen 1500 lbs versions for about per pair $200 on eBay. Not cheap, but a geat tool for squeezing several cars into confined spaces.

I've been following your web site for a while and find great joy in reading about your progress. Please advise if you have a PayPal account that allows you to receive money. I'll be happy to make a contribution towards a garage warming gift. Other people may feel the same way.

Cheers,

Ruedi
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks guys! Congratulations back to Scott and Kris on their repective homes!

I'm pretty excited about the possiblities! Unfortunately, I won't be able to put in a lift like Scott is planning, but maybe in the future, I'll be building another shop on the property out back!

Kris- I'm sure you'll get that Ferrari someday. Anything is possible. If you told me 10 years ago I'd be in this position, I wouldn't have believed it, but that doesn't mean I wasn't secretly planning it!

Ruedi- I got the cheaper version of the Gojak from Eastwood. They're simple dollies that fit under each wheel. I'll have to jack the car up to get them on the dolly, but I think they'll work fine for now. I'll save my money for the egineered beam that will remove all the posts in the basement!

Thanks for your offer for a "Garage Warming Gift!" My Paypal account is:
"tom@tomyang.net"
I have a huge list of tools I can buy, now that I HAVE MY OWN GARAGE!!

Tom
Mike G.

Post by Mike G. »

SWEET!!
I would love to have all that open space for tools, but like most homeowners, my garage is filled with regular cars, lawn equipment and kids toys.

Job + Ferrari + Wife + House = Kids (which are more fun and require more patience than any Ferrari!)
Pontiac

Post by Pontiac »

Congrats Tom!!
We bought our house 1 1/2 years ago and it's the best thing we ever did.
Now my company is moving me to Denver so we are in the house hunt again. The good thing is we gained enough equity to cover down payments and closing on the new place.

How's the power situation in the Basement?
A couple 220v circuts can be really handy to have.. one 30a for a quality 60-80 dual stage compressor and a 50a for welding equipment.

When you build the shop get 3ph power if it's avaliable.
there are some killer deals on used 3ph motors and welding equipment.
This will be really handy if you get any big equipment like a lathe or a mill.
Adnaan

Post by Adnaan »

Tom Congrats on the new house! The place looks lovely and a great place for the car collection. I can see it now. The Yang motor museum of New York!

Also I might be coming to New York in December on business. Any chance of meeting up? I'd love to meet you and see the car!
Adnaan Rasool
London, England.

1991 Mondial t - Rosso/Cream
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks Guys!

I spent the second weekend up at the house, and the garage building has begun! (See my latest entry.)

Adnaan-E-mail me:
tom@tomyang.net

Tom
Tony M

Post by Tony M »

Tom,

In reference to your questions on the furnace isolation I'd suggest the following.

1) It should be relatively easy to build a room to enclose the furnace. Make sure you make it large enough to give plenty of room to work on the furnace and make the door large enough to easily remove the furnace if it ever needs to be replaced (36" would be great if there is room).

2) Make sure there is fire rated sheetrock above the furnace. If there isn't any, insulate above the furnace (to cut down on noise) and put up the sheetrock on the ceiling. Take plenty of pictures so you know were all the pipes and wiring in that ceiling run. Access doors to valves is also a good idea.

3) Install an outside air intake to the furnace. There are kits available for most furances and it will guarentee an adequate air supply to the furnace. Once you create the room, you will have dramatically reduced the available combustion air and this is a critcal step. Your furnace service company should be able to get a manifold that attaches directly to the burner and then it is just a matter of running the appropriate sized piping to the exterior. Make sure you put a screen of some kind on the outside to keep criiter from taking up residence.

Good Luck with the new house,

Tony
mikemeade

Post by mikemeade »

Tom,
Here are another couple construction tips that might help. I would probably find a smoke detector and CO detector that has a remote alarm. This way you can hear the alarm go off up in the house if something goes really wrong in the basement. I would also recomend keeping a high quality fire extinguisher around, just in case. Make it something that you can reach near an entrance to the garage. (top of the stairs, right inside the side door) It would be better to damage one car than lose the whole house.
Also I don't know how old your furnace is, but if you can smell fumes coming from the furnace, I would put in a vent to the outside. Something as simple as a dryer vent that is not connected to anything should allow enough air infiltration to prevent the buildup of fumes. Insulate your new walls around the furnace if you do this though, I understand that it gets pretty cold in the winter in your part of the world.

Mike
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great advice! I'm taking a week off after Thanksgiving, so I'll be building my enclosure then. I guess I can post the progress since it is somewhat Ferrari related because eventually, it will be her new home!

Tom
andy

Post by andy »

Hey Tom, as you're putting up the walls around the furnace don't forget that you may need to replace it someday. You may want to put in a double door or provide some way to detach your wall partitions so that you can get the old one out and the new one in.

Andy
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Andy,

I actually thought about that possibility, and measured the width of the boiler before I decided what size door to put in! When it comes time to change out the boiler (hopefully later that sooner!) I can remove the door off its hinges and the unit can be muscled out!

Thanks for keeping me honest!

Tom