DMV/Ferrari tales

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

DMV/Ferrari tales

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bryan P

Your entry re: the DMV lady reminded me of my experience registering my queen mother.  The DMV lady was mystified at a Veh. Id. No. having only 5 characters.  Once she punched the number into the computer, she looked at me funny and disappeared.  She reappeared a few minutes later w/ a security guard and a supervisor who informed me that my VIN matched that of a stolen trailer!  I assured him that my 1968 Ferrari was not a trailer (or a trailer queen for that matter!).  The rest of the info on the title convinced him and so now, as far as the Commonwealth of Virginia is concerned, my official VIN has a letter added to the end of it to distinguish it from the poor, stolen trailer.  A future mystery for the future telaio sleuths to mull over . . .  The supervisor also doubted that a vehicle could have 12 cylinders and patronizingly suggested that perhaps the seller had lied to me about the # of cylinders.  I guess you don't have to be a car guy to be a DMV supervisor.  &nbsp
wwwboard

Re: DMV/Ferrari tales

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

I never had problems with DMV but did have some trouble with the insurance company.  "No-no"she said.  "I need that big long number, probably 12 or 16 digits, on your registration".  Now that I have 3 cars with 4 digit VIN's (the Ferrari and 2 Morgans)  registered and insured, I guess they're used to me.      tim
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jim

California DMV also listed my 5 digit VIN to a trailer.  I can't wait for renewal snafu.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jim

California DMV also listed my 5 digit VIN to a trailer.  I can't wait for renewal snafu.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Guys,

Since the title I was transfering from already had "330GT5053," I decided not to make waves and try to change things. I was just happy I walked out with plates!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Keith

I had exactly the same reaction when I registered an old 356 several years ago. "It can't possibly only have a five number VIN!". I assured him that by 1956, Porsche had not made that many cars.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

Because my 250GTE came from Europe I went through hell to register it. DMV said I need to have a VIN verification done in order to register the car ( I only had the tiitle from 3 owners ago and a recent bill of sale). But this procedure can only be done at the DMV, so how am I supposed to drive an unregistered car to get it done? (they refused a 1 day moving permit, not telling me why). I had to rent a U-haul trailer, and even then, I had to explain that the VIN was only 4 digits. She would not go for it, and instead registered it as 250GT4823, because the 250Gt was right next to the serial number on the ID plate. She also read the 1963 as 1965, with the font being similar. She told me to go to a Ferrari dealer and get a certified letter stating that these cars were not made in 1965. She finally gave up on that after I showed her an article in Ferrari Wold (Wow ! I had it with me).
In addition, DMV wanted to charge me penalties because the date of sale was more than 20 days ago. I had to show them their own rules that state you must register the car 20 days from the date it enters California, not always 20 days from the date of sale.

People who work at my DMV tend be a showcase for angry, dejected, and anal bureaucrats. The whole institution seems to be a shining turd of an example of what happens when you go crazy with big government regulations.
Where is that lunchtime Prozac dose, anyway?

thx
luke

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

Because my 250GTE came from Europe I went through hell to register it. DMV said I need to have a VIN verification done in order to register the car ( I only had the tiitle from 3 owners ago and a recent bill of sale). But this procedure can only be done at the DMV, so how am I supposed to drive an unregistered car to get it done? (they refused a 1 day moving permit, not telling me why). I had to rent a U-haul trailer, and even then, I had to explain that the VIN was only 4 digits. She would not go for it, and instead registered it as 250GT4823, because the 250Gt was right next to the serial number on the ID plate. She also read the 1963 as 1965, with the font being similar. She told me to go to a Ferrari dealer and get a certified letter stating that these cars were not made in 1965. She finally gave up on that after I showed her an article in Ferrari Wold (Wow ! I had it with me).
In addition, DMV wanted to charge me penalties because the date of sale was more than 20 days ago. I had to show them their own rules that state you must register the car 20 days from the date it enters California, not always 20 days from the date of sale.

People who work at my DMV tend be a showcase for angry, dejected, and anal bureaucrats. The whole institution seems to be a shining turd of an example of what happens when you go crazy with big government regulations.

thx
luke

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

thx
luke

wwwboard

Re: DMV/Ferrari tales - Wrong DMV!!!!!

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Todd

Man, you poor guys have it rough! You should come here to Missouri and go to one of the privately owned contract stations outside the major cities. THEY WILL TAKE ANYTHING! Just smile and chit chat and you get a title. After screwing around with the official Dumb-O-Crats at the real office a few times, I will never go back there. The Good Old Boy (and Girl) System is alive and well in the Ozarks!

I suppose Missouri has to be good for something!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

Luke, while it's to late to help you, in California, if you are going to do anything unusual or have questions, DO NOT GO TO YOUR LOCAL OFFICE.  Call the Dept of Public Inquiry- 916 657 6560 or 657 7669 and calmly ask them.  They are good people to deal with and I don't want them yelled at.    tim &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

Luke, while it's to late to help you, in California, if you are going to do anything unusual or have questions, DO NOT GO TO YOUR LOCAL OFFICE.  Call the Dept of Public Inquiry- 916 657 6560 or 657 7669 and calmly ask them.  They are good people to deal with and I don't want them yelled at.    tim &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Luke Kowalski

Tim,
I am sure there are good people everywhere, but it was the design of the system I was frustrated with.
Actually, I have called this very number ! I have asked them if I could buy black CA plates and have them assigned to a 1963 year car (it had no plates, as it came from Belgium). The Year of Manufacture law states that you can do that for 1962 or earlier, so I was expecting a firm "No". The person on the phone (I got their name) said that I can, if I call Sacramento and check that the plates are free and clear, and that this batch contains no lead. So I purchased "ZPP 888" from a website that dealt with vintage plates, made the call,  and marched over to the DMV. They refused to assign the plates, despite the Sacramento reference.
And, BTW, I would never "yell". In my jobs, I have  worked  with billionaire CEOs and had more direct reports than I ever needed, so I have learned that yelling is never the way to get things done.
For now, my car has plates, insurance, and everything seems to be legal.