Need 250GTE front end

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330 America

Need 250GTE front end

Post by 330 America »

If anyone comes across a front end section for a Series III GTE, let me know. I need the sheet metal, fog lights, grill/chrome, etc., etc.
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)
Yale

Post by Yale »

Ok, so you just bought a 330 America and now already you need a front end for it? What is the story pray tell? Congrats on the America by the way. Yale
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

If I recall, this car has an earlier front end. This, in my opinion, makes it look better. I love the color too!

I enquired about this car a couple of years ago and the advice I received was that if I was to proceed with the purchase, I should leave it as is and enjoy driving it. It was suggested that restoration to original would be expensive.
330 America

Front End for 330 America

Post by 330 America »

What I know at this point is that the car had some minor left front quarter panel damage, but according to Bonhams auction house the repair was very good. Given that it appears to have a Series II nose section, I initially feared that someone did a lousy job of paying attention and perhaps grafted a Series III front end on the car -- hence, my initial posting for anyone with sheet metal.

Having exchanged multiple emails with Yale and finding two more Series III cars with Series II front ends, I'm now convinced this was a production variance that makes the car potentially more unique -- and I agree that I like the look better than the fog lights in the Series III configuration (too busy).

I had ordered a couple of good Ferrari books last week that just arrived today from some Amazon dealers. One is called "Ferrari 4 Seaters" by David Owen, and on page 32 he says "...the 250GTE 2+2 was the nearest Ferrari had yet approached to a genuine series production, but even then there were detail differences between individual cars." He cites some having side markers and grills that differed, as well as inconsistent use of fog lights, etc.

For this reason, I'm going to leave the car alone for now and simply search out a good seat belt solution for safety and enjoy the stink out of the V12 until Summer (no A/C in the 330 makes it a killer in Dallas during the Summer).

Thanks for the insight......
Steve Patti
tyang

Post by tyang »

Although we've spoken privately, I'd like to publically welcome another 330 America Owner to the site!

I personally doubt 330 Americas came with the Series II nose, especially since they were the last of the Series III bodies produced, but I could be wrong. I'll wait until we see the repair sections before making any judgements. The way to see is to look for build numbers on the splash shields and such to see if they match the rest of the car.

Tom
vincent

330 AM FROM GSTAAD

Post by vincent »

IF YOU look at Barchetta you will know the front is in plastic !!
but i know a250 gte serie III to be sell for parts in Belgium
Yale

Post by Yale »

5061GT 63/dec   *** 36th ***
330 America, LHD
Light Metallic Blue/black
Wow a plastic front?! Hey here is what Barchatta has on the car as far as I can find. Where is the plastic reference? Best, Yale

Date Result Event Driver # Reference
63 - Chinetti Motors, Greenwich, CT, USA  
.. - Norman Brooks, Pasadena, CA, USA
.. - Greg Prorock, OH, USA
86/may/17 - offered for $22,500 by Prorock; Yellow/black, restored
86/sep - John Rector, Las Vegas, NV, USA  
89/oct/14 - offered for $150,000 by Rector
90 - restored by Crepaldi, Milano, I - repainted Light met. blue/black  
98/aug - offered for PDS 29.000 by Paul Baber, UK  
98/aug - Miguel de Mello, Estoril, P  
98/dec - offered for  $49,000 by Paul Baber, UK  
99/jan - ............, I  
03/dec/19 - S - Bonhams Gstaad auction - SFr. 66,000 + comm.
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

I believe Paul Baber reads this site, as he sold the car at least once, maybe he could shed some light on the issues at hand (and maybe some pictures not presently on Barchetta!).

My question to Steve is: what arrangements are you making to get it across the "pond"?
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Yale,

The plastic reference is in the Barchetta write-up on the auction. It says that a magenet wouldn't stick to almost the entire front end. To me this just means filler.

By the way, with current prices, that barn find America is sounding pretty good and the brown one sounds like a great deal.

Regards,

Art S.
vincent

Post by vincent »

SO,so ,sorry for my bad english i haven' t all understand
Bonhams.com results page say filler, so your right or alloy?

i wish everybody a merry christmas time
330 America

Post by 330 America »

Vincent - maybe you can forward the information to me on the Belgium car that is being parted out, as I travel to the UK, Netherlands and Germany every 3-4 months for business -- although with the current terror warnings, I'm probably going to hang out here in the US for the first part of 2004. I would be interested in finding out what the guy has left.

Yale - with regards to shipping the car, I have a UK shipper that I've used for 2 Porsches in 2002, but they declined as they say Swiss export is a pain in the butt, so I'm using Bonhams recommended shipper (CAR Logistics) out of Switzerland. Their prices aren't too bad (maybe $500 higher than I expected).

Art - you're making me sick if you guys read that the car has got a bunch of bondo/filler because it means I've got my work cut out for me. Anyway, lot's of speculation here and I'll just have to see what I end up with. If I got screwed, I'll drive the car then at the end of 2004 decide whether to restore it to proper condition, or I'll sell it and buy a GT Lusso (if the prices are somewhat sane by that time).

I can tell you all one thing -- Bonhams has not turned out to be a very good organization to deal with. Simon Kidston has got a real attitude (arrogant) while Benoit and Debbie are very nice. For all US readers, here me when I say that you are better off dealing with Barrett Jackson, etc. Their commission are 7%, instead of 16% rape that I got charged (on top of the seller commissions they charge). Nothing against the Europeans as I lived there for 4 years and have done business there for 10. Its just that a majority of the cars (including the Lepeltier vehicles that had sat for 13 years) were not "drive away" condition -- I think that was reflected in the prices.

As it relates to you guys all talking about these cheap 250GTE's and 330 Americas, I don't know where you're looking because I checked every website, Google word search, and lead I could in both North America and Europe. A restored GTE is fetching 65,000 - 80,000 Euro's ($75K-$93K USD) and there are no restored 330 America's that I could find anywhere. Oh well, I've bought so many Porsches "right" and made money on them that if I end up $10K upside down on the 330, its not a big deal.

I'm supposed to get the shipping schedule on the car tomorrow, so when it arrives in Dallas its going straight to the Ferrari body shop for inspection. We'll see what turns up and I'll let everyone know.
Steve Patti
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Steve,

I didn't mean to worry you.

Regarding magnets, the comment was at: http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/ev ... index.html

As long as it is reliable and pulls hard, drive it in good health! Don't sweat the cosmetics!

Art S.
330 America

Front end found!

Post by 330 America »

Guys,

A quick update - I found a front clip (Series III) from a NY source for $1,500. The seller is parting out 2 cars and says the metal is in very good condition. The price sounds reasonable and now all I need are the correct foglamps, trim rings, etc. as I'm hoping my Series II headlamps, etc. will transfer.

My Ferrari body shop is going to look at the car the week of 1/26 for a labor estimate and "go/no go" recommendation. They've got a couple 330 coupes in their shop now and have done similar work so they are not worried about it.

I'm thinking of buying the sheet metal now (January) while I can and perhaps waiting until later in 2004 (or 2005) to do the front end conversion.

Any comments?
Steve Patti
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Steve,

I'm assuming you are looking at a front end from one of Fred Petroske's cars. If memory serves me well, there have been entire GTE body shells on ebay for less than that. GTE body parts should be reasonably available considering how may cars have been broken up.

My only suggestion to to see what you have before you start buying more.

Good Luck,

Art S.

PS. I still say it looks better with a series 2 front end.
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

One more thing: Fred Petroske has the rear mounted Marchals on his website.

Art S.