GTE (with shields!) alert (3229)

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

lukek

GTE (with shields!) alert (3229)

Post by lukek »

Oh, my....
This one has shields on the flanks, and on the oil filter !!! A very brief write up also claims that a Superamerica mill is in the engine bay. If so....some Superamerica owner might want to stage a reunion.
The write up is super short, and the pics not all that extensive. It always makes me wonder....I see people selling million dollar houses in the middle of the recession, and they take 2 cell phone pics, write two sentences, and expect to get stellar results.

Last info on this car from the register is from 2003, via Greg Jones (Florida)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari- ... _500wt_891
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
330GT

Re: GTE (with shields!) alert (3229)

Post by 330GT »

lukek wrote:Oh, my....
A very brief write up also claims that a Superamerica mill is in the engine bay. If so....some Superamerica owner might want to stage a reunion.
After a few eBay message interchanges with the seller, the engine & transmission came from a 330 GT, 6607GT. The chassis number has been removed, but the internal number is 760, which is about right for 6607. The seller bought the engine and tranmission from Fred Petroske about 4 years ago and installed it. He found a tag that had been on the engine which had the 6607 number on it.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
JAshburne

Post by JAshburne »

You might be a little harsh on the guy, don't you think? I view it as a car ad with enough pictures and info to let me know if it is worth investigating further.

He could have 1,000 high res pictures and a detailed history of the car on the ad and I would still not think of buying the car without going to look at it personally and having a PPI done.

This one has some issues (like the non-operative o/d) that may make it more of a major project than not to sort out, but that is why no ad for a Ferrari of this age is going to be sufficient to tell me just how much of a project the car is.
John Ashburne
1983 400i 5 speed, silver/black
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

While it is great that this one time donor car has been salvaged, the 400 Superamerica claim rubs me wrong. At least it is listed as a type 209.

Kerry, thank for finding out the engine's history!

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
tyang

Post by tyang »

JAshburne wrote:You might be a little harsh on the guy, don't you think? I view it as a car ad with enough pictures and info to let me know if it is worth investigating further.

He could have 1,000 high res pictures and a detailed history of the car on the ad and I would still not think of buying the car without going to look at it personally and having a PPI done.

This one has some issues (like the non-operative o/d) that may make it more of a major project than not to sort out, but that is why no ad for a Ferrari of this age is going to be sufficient to tell me just how much of a project the car is.
Maybe it's because I've messed with my overdrive a bunch, but if it's still intact, it might not be that bad. Often, it's electrical.

Although it may never be worth as much as a numbers matching car, a 330 engine stuffed in a GTE makes for a great driver!

Thanks Kerry for posting the information.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Although it may never be worth as much as a numbers matching car, a 330 engine stuffed in a GTE makes for a great driver!

Matching number thinking is only for those Americans.
In Europe we think differant.
when a car drove in the past a lot of KM and the motor broke alot of people orderd or bought a new one
So nothing wrong I think.
I own a matching number motor for my car but it stands in my stock.........
and put an 128F engine in it
the 3 studs were not reliable enough 2 blown gasket in thr first year.thats enough
Does I own now black trash ?
come on.

C.
Yale

Post by Yale »

330GT wrote:
lukek wrote:Oh, my....
A very brief write up also claims that a Superamerica mill is in the engine bay. If so....some Superamerica owner might want to stage a reunion.
After a few eBay message interchanges with the seller, the engine & transmission came from a 330 GT, 6607GT. The chassis number has been removed, but the internal number is 760, which is about right for 6607. The seller bought the engine and tranmission from Fred Petroske about 4 years ago and installed it. He found a tag that had been on the engine which had the 6607 number on it.
How do you know Petroske doesn't have the rest of the car Kerry? When I was there in 02 he had up to about 10 GTE's and 330's in various states of undress. Some with engines out and many with engines in. Furthermore he's not the most talkative person so I would be surprised if he told anyone what happened to what in his place. Y.
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
tyang

Post by tyang »

buurman wrote:Although it may never be worth as much as a numbers matching car, a 330 engine stuffed in a GTE makes for a great driver!

In Europe we think differant.
when a car drove in the past a lot of KM and the motor broke alot of people orderd or bought a new one
So nothing wrong I think.
I own a matching number motor for my car but it stands in my stock.........
and put an 128F engine in it
the 3 studs were not reliable enough 2 blown gasket in thr first year.thats enough
Does I own now black trash ?
come on.

C.
Hi Cornelis,

I think the choice between throwing away a GTE or installing an engine in it so it remains on the road is to keep them on the road. It's even better if one can find a Ferrari engine.

Matching numbers on any car is a pragmatic approach towards the value of the car when it is bought or sold. If the future owner can buy this car at discount because of the mismatch, it can work to his advantage. I'm sure even in Europe, if there were two identical cars, but one with a mismatched engine, the matching numbers car would bring more money.

That does not, however, make mismatched cars worthless. As all of us who use this website agree, we love these cars for what they are, not as some commodity or status symbol. Those that don't agree usually go somewhere else.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
250GT

Post by 250GT »

tyang wrote:
buurman wrote:Although it may never be worth as much as a numbers matching car, a 330 engine stuffed in a GTE makes for a great driver!

C.
Hi Cornelis,

I think the choice between throwing away a GTE or installing an engine in it so it remains on the road is to keep them on the road. It's even better if one can find a Ferrari engine.

Matching numbers on any car is a pragmatic approach towards the value of the car when it is bought or sold. If the future owner can buy this car at discount because of the mismatch, it can work to his advantage. I'm sure even in Europe, if there were two identical cars, but one with a mismatched engine, the matching numbers car would bring more money.

That does not, however, make mismatched cars worthless. As all of us who use this website agree, we love these cars for what they are, not as some commodity or status symbol. Those that don't agree usually go somewhere else.

Tom
Well one last reply on matching numbers, I will not go into this discusson
That everything is about money I agree.
Dreaming and flying are nice things ,but these is so much fake in the world of older ferraris .
A good relative of mine biuld a nice glass table out of an non LWB comp. car, this engine has a crack in the motor block by frost. 168
It stands in his living.
The owner of the chassis and body has a certisfied ( Ferrari Spa )car and won a lot of chrome metal.( concours)
In the days of racing rebiulding a body or replacing engine was nothing special.
So please dont believe everything you see.
I enjoy mine classic hobby for 26 years.
So i believe I am allowed to say I have an reletive objective opinion.
The cas has a restamped GTE engine (or something else) in it and the owner probebly dont know his engine excist.
A period correct motor is absolute OK
Better an 70 point car with perfect mechanics, than a 100 point car with- almost always -weak preformance.
just my 2 cent

C.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

To add to this discussion, there are a lot of "matching number" cars out there that have been made so with a set of stamps in the correct font. It may make us feel better to think we have an original car, but how do we really know?
1967 330 GTC #9313
330GT

Post by 330GT »

David Smith wrote:To add to this discussion, there are a lot of "matching number" cars out there that have been made so with a set of stamps in the correct font. It may make us feel better to think we have an original car, but how do we really know?
That's why Ferrari checks the engine internal motor number. It is quite hard to fake as it is on a rough part of the casting. Further, unless you have the build sheet, you don't know the proper number to stamp.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

When this owner says he has an SA engine, I wonder if he is confusing Super America with America. If you drop a 330 engine in a GTE, you essentially have a 330 America, right?
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

Just for my own information before this message scrolls off, the auction ended without meeting reserve at $77,877.
'63 330 America #5053
lukek

Post by lukek »

just spotted a shell on ebay, 4499

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari- ... _500wt_891

And there is a GTE for sale at fantasyjunction, 2713

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/142 ... totype-V12

No commercial interest, just spotting them...
:)
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
kare

Post by kare »

I personally believe that 2713 may very well have been used by Ferrari/PF as a design study for Series 3. The nose was probably converted in 1962 and it is noteworthy that the parking light position is different comparing to S.3 production cars. When the tool for stamping out the sheet metal piece forming provisions for fog & parking lights, they were located closer to each other for obvious reason.

It would be interesting to find out what the "62" added under the numero interno actually means. This engine was built at the time when revized block with "/62E" was entering production, so that "62" probably stand for some changes already made during assembly of last E-series blocks. Nobody just seems to know what it was. Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT