GTE/GT Power Antenna - Which is Correct?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330 America

GTE/GT Power Antenna - Which is Correct?

Post by 330 America »

Can anyone clarify (and possibly email a picture to me) of what the correct power antenna unit looks like for a GTE/330GT?

I want to ensure the unit in my 330 America is correct and am told Hirschman in the correct unit, but it looks bigger than the unit that was in my car prior to its restoration.

I'm sure Tom Y can verify what's on his car. Rudy -- do you know? Shaughnessy tells me he doesn't have one, but I've found an original Hirschman in NY -- I just don't want to buy it if its the wrong unit. Also, I've seen antenna units installed in the right from quarter panel on a 330 America as well as left rear quarter panel -- is there agreement on the correct location?
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)
tyang

Re: GTE/GT Power Antenna - Which is Correct?

Post by tyang »

Some were dealer installed options, and changed from car to car. I have a manual antenna...front right fender.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I have a manual antenna as well, so don't really know. However, I think Michael Greenspan bought one from Hirschman, so lets see what he thinks.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Michael Greenspan

Post by Michael Greenspan »

I bought a period Hirschmann antenna when I first got the car six years ago from Hirshmann when they were in New Jersey. Yale gave me the contact. They are no longer there. It replaced a manual antenna that was mounted in the right rear. From the paint around the hole, the manual antenna that was there was probably not original. But if Tom Y is a good guy, he could take a picture of what I have and post it since the car is at Francois for some work. The antenna was great but old age has set in and it now has to decide if it wants to retract. Sometimes it takes days, others as soon as the radio is off.

I recently bought a new Hirshmann and it is nothing like the one I have but I figure that like the Tow Hooks it is insurance. As long as I have it the old one will continue to work.
Yale

Post by Yale »

There is a maintenance procedure for Hirshman electric antennas. They sell Hirschman electric antenna packets that look like moist towelettes, which open in the center and you slide over the antenna as you raise and lower it. This cleans off the grit. You are supposed to do this twice a year or have your dealer do it when you take you car in for service, hah! Obviously you are not keeping your parts in good working order. 2 demerits!

http://www.epsparts.com/genuine-hirschm ... -p-17.html
Attachments
anntenna.jpg
anntenna.jpg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 12225 times
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
Michael Greenspan

Post by Michael Greenspan »

Don't you think a little WD-40 would do as well?

Michael
Yale

Post by Yale »

Michael, here is the OFFICIAL Hirschman antenna cleaner and you want to use wd40??
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

WD-40 is a perfectly acceptable solution to your problem, but only if you are able to locate a can which has a serial number that matched your car. We all know that Enzo Ferrari personally selected each can of WD-40 that accompanied a car when it was new. The problem was that Chinetti sometimes mixed up the cans from car to car, so your car may not currently have a can that matches its serial number. If you still need the corect can of WD-40, Ferrari Classiche will gladly supply you with a restamped can for only $8,500.

DWR46
kare

Post by kare »

330 America wrote:I just don't want to buy it if its the wrong unit.
There is no correct unit. Antennas and radios were dealer installed items like mirrors and so they come in many variations. Depends on the market where the car was sold too; UKW range was making a breakthrough in Europe at the time, so for me the correct anteena is the 2,5 metre (8 ft.) AM antenna, that was set half way in when listening to the UKW-reception. The original unit that was installed with the Blaupunkt is luckily in decent shape even if the Blaupunkt is long gone. I, off course, got me another Blaupunkt Köln and got rid of the super-8 stereo cassette player.

The most common location for antenna is the right front fender as there the base of the antenna can be easily bolted to the firewall. Seen this installation in one or two factory pics too.

Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
330 America

Post by 330 America »

thanks guys, this is really helpful.

BTW: I just sold #5061 this week and will be driving to Houston on Tuesday to watch her loaded into a 20' container back to England.
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

so for me the correct anteena is the 2,5 metre (8 ft.) AM antenna
Eight Foot??? Did they ever expect you to drive around with that thing extended? Even pulled out half way is four feet, which is still a heck of an antenna!
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
kare

Post by kare »

Tom Wilson wrote:Eight Foot??? Did they ever expect you to drive around with that thing extended? Even pulled out half way is four feet, which is still a heck of an antenna!
My antenna really extends to 2,4 metres or so (8 ft.). I have no idea how it was intended to be used, but cars & traffic used to be pretty slow back then. Anyway, when I bought my radio, the seller wanted to sell me an antenna too, and got really happy when he heard that I have a 100% correct 2,4 metre antenna still installed on my car. To be honest I would think that driving around with a 2,4 metre antenna extended would include a risk of hitting something.

Best wishes, Kare

PS. having been around this forum for a long time I do expect Rudy to say something witty about hitting something with your antenna.
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

You know what they say guys,"the bigger the antenna the bigger the....". Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
kare

Post by kare »

FWIW, my period installed antenna is made by Poddig in Germany.
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
Besters

Post by Besters »

kare wrote:FWIW, my period installed antenna is made by Poddig in Germany.
Poddig GmbH & Co in Berlin is a manufacturer of special-antennas for CB for example.
Regards
Markus

´61 250GTE #2281GT ; ´80 308GT4 #15112 ; ´83 208 turbo GTB #46599 ; ´85 Mondial 3.2 #59769