Horn Detailing

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Re: Horn Detailing

Post by John Vardanian »

Forgot to answer the question about the hose. It appears that the original hose is neither clear nor opaque. It is a semi translucent look. The one I have used here achieves that look. The camera flash makes it look a lighter red than it actually is.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Tom Y, if you looked at a previous picture I have posted here where things are spread on a green towel you’ll see the state of the trumpets before I applied the paint. I spun them on the lathe while polishing them with Hepic Semichrome. Then washed and degreased with lacquer thinner. The paint I used is called “Dupli-Color”. It first comes out of the can in a gaudy pinkish red, but by the time the 10th–12th coat goes on it looks the right tone of red. The paint has to go on thick so it’s on the verge of running. You’ll need to apply two coats about 3” away from the trumpets, turn the trumpets upside down, then two more coats, then over and over.
Thanks John. This thread is getting so long, I'm forgetting what has already been said!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

tyang wrote:
Thanks John. This thread is getting so long, I'm forgetting what has already been said!

Tom
I know. Eleven pages on horns alone. We have no life.

john
PF Coupe
josh

Post by josh »

John Vardanian wrote:
But beautiful horns.
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/
daffy

Post by daffy »

Looks to me that we have a marked for a "Fiamm spring event"

Dag
John Vardanian wrote:
tyang wrote:

Tom

john
330 GT 2+2 Serie II VIN 8495, 1966
Fiat DINO Coupe 246, 1971
Fiat Ritmo Abarth 1988
ISO Milano Diva 1959
Audi Urquattro 1984
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, 2006
carello

Post by carello »

Just another bit of data for 1963 era FIAMM horn sets. Here is a trumpet plate from September 1963 and the stamped number is quite visable 309. The trumpet plates appear to be 'the same" in this era of 1960 thru 1970, but indeed they are not. This difference or even stamped/not stamped, may or may not coincide with a smooth rivet or splayed rivet center. Anybody know?
If there are other detail photos of horn plates,
please post them for review.
I was fortunate enough to visit a Ferrari restoration shop yesterday and they allowed me access to all the vintage FIAMM horns (maybe a dozen or so plus spare parts) . Do you know how little is known about horns, yet they display quite promenintly on each Ferrari ?
Craig
Attachments
IMG_2326.JPG
IMG_2326.JPG (121.7 KiB) Viewed 14185 times
carello

Post by carello »

Look at the font size and type, looks like it matches the trumpet plate previous.
too bad i cant focus better.
i did not not get a exact diameter or thickness of these plates yet for the record.
Someone may want to duplicate these or maybe the ones that are not currently available.
Parker Hall has a great catalog of some of these.

Craig
Attachments
309compplate2315.JPG
309compplate2315.JPG (121.92 KiB) Viewed 14179 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Craig,

These are the plaques I have (see Page 10) mine are stamped 312. These photos I have are the best ones I took prior to tear down. I was unable to replicate those rivets exactly.

john
PF Coupe
carello

Post by carello »

tyang wrote:1. I took off my horn trumpets to refinish them again. My horns are in better shape, so I'd like to polish them, but I noticed the paint on my horns chipping off very easily. This might be from the paint not having enough "tooth" to grab on to. Thoughts? Tom
Tom, you are correct that the temptation is to polish the trumpets prior to paint. The rogue in the polishing contains silicates which deters paint from sticking as well as the slick finish not accepting paint well.
I polished mine then painted with Candy red from Duplicolor years ago and even with babying thru install they got nicked up. One finish i have seen lately is to anodize the FIAMM trumpets in clear candy red. This anodizing leaves an incorrect flat anodized look. Then the trumpets were clear gloss coated and they came out perfect!
My own current refinish technique is planned to be spinning the trumpets in a lathe with course steel wool to achieve an "LP record" finish and then spray with candy red rattlecan of the month from Autozone. I do stock House of Colors candy red bulk paint, but i am not motivated to fire up the gun for this task.

Keep us posted please
Craig
Attachments
TrumpetFlareS33.jpg
TrumpetFlareS33.jpg (11.17 KiB) Viewed 14125 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

I took some pictures of my horn compressor:
1963 330 America

Tom
Attachments
5053_28.jpg
5053_28.jpg (90.35 KiB) Viewed 14083 times
'63 330 America #5053
carello

Post by carello »

tyang wrote:I took some pictures of my horn compressor: 1963 330 America Tom
Great photo reference Tom, thank you.

Here is a picture of a trumpet badge, one of several i am sorting right now. Stamped 202 would tell us, so far, that this is most likely 1962 February. Some interesting items to note are:
1) TA/3 marking - is this a trumpet badge from a triple set? or?
2) the badge appears to have been removed and then reattached with maybe a solder glob to the side
3) very plain text on the badge

Can anyone post pictures of their trumpet badges showing this text? We need more references to establish what might be correct for each year. Right now we are only dangerous with limited information. I am finding it very difficult to find an untouched, hi end, collector Italian car with original FIAMM equipment. Most appear to be a combination of the best vintage cosmetic pieces assembled to replicate the feel of a new FIAMM horn set.
Craig
Attachments
Maserati_small2250.JPG
Maserati_small2250.JPG (112.97 KiB) Viewed 14029 times
carello

Post by carello »

365 GTB/4 horn compressor very nice condition, serie 2000.
It is actually more than just the stamping that is important to learn about, the text at this time is quite distinct, so stamping up, during restoration, a new generic (later or earlier) tag would not be as nice.

Also interesting to see the "grain" of all these metal based tags.
Craig
Attachments
DaytonaSerie2000_0B.JPG
DaytonaSerie2000_0B.JPG (125.98 KiB) Viewed 13982 times
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

carello wrote: I believe these first used, FIAMM, plastic chrome plated trumpet jam nut covers were used for a short period, maybe 1966 thru 1969. Anybody have a source for these covers? i need a pair.
Craig
I needed a set of these for the Miura I'm restoring as well, so I had 2 choices - refinish the ones I had and get them chromed, or make new ones out of stainless steel. I chose the latter. It's a simple design which any machinist can do, at about the same cost of having the old ones re-chromed.

In the new design, I decided to thread the wide end of the jam-nut cover, and do away with the jam nut it is supposed to cover entirely. this way there are fewer cuts to make. The only trick is to leave a narrower hole on the business end of the piece, so it can be properly threaded.

I ended up getting 4 made for $30 each. (Sorry, I need all of them!)
carello

Post by carello »

I.G.M. = Ispettorato Generale Motorizzazione Civile e Trasporti in Concessione
what does
AGRÉÉ T.P.A.R. = ?
Is this a French authorization? or what
any help is great
thanks
Craig
Rudy van Daalen Wetters