Another fuel line question

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Pied-Noir

Another fuel line question

Post by Pied-Noir »

After having gone through some 200 + posts, I can't seem to find (did I miss it?) a consensus on the specific application of the 2 or 3 different fuel line IDs. I am planning to replace on my 330 GT Series I the fuel lines starting at the fuel tank and going forward. I have not made up my mind as to what type/kind of fuel line to use yet.
Thank you for your inputs.
Yves
tyang

Re: Another fuel line question

Post by tyang »

Hi Yves,

Are you talking about the yellow flexible fuel lines, or the steel lines?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Pied-Noir

Post by Pied-Noir »

Hi Tom and thank you for our reply.

I'm looking at the yellow flex lines. The steel ones are fine - for the moment, since I haven't touched them!!!!!
In some of the posts, I have read that the flex lines used are 6, 8 and 10 mm ID and their individual application on the fuel line circuit was far from being standard.
Does it really make any difference as long as one is consistent with one ID? Any thoughts?

Yves
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Yves,

Once you remove the fittings, measure the largest and smallest size of the tapered end and your parts supplier will be able to sell you which hose you will need. Another issue is the old ferrules will not fit the OD of the new hose, so you'll have to buy new ones for the new hose.

There has always been discussion about whether to use sealant or not on the fitting ends. I personally use it to avoid leaks, but some guys here claim they never use it and are fine. It's your choice.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Pied-Noir wrote:...
In some of the posts, I have read that the flex lines used are 6, 8 and 10 mm ID and their individual application on the fuel line circuit was far from being standard.
Does it really make any difference as long as one is consistent with one ID? Any thoughts?

Yves
The 10mm yellow lines are used from the fuel tank to the mechanical fuel pump. Also to the electric fuel pump. Not pressurized, so larger.
The 8mm yellow lines are used from the mechanical fuel pump to the fuel log. Also from the electric pump to the rear of the fuel log. These are all pressurized.
The 6mm brown lines are used for all of the oil lines, including the one to the oil pressure gauge.

The ferrules and fittings are sized for each line/location. So unless you change out everything, you need to use the correct sized lines.

Also, I couldn't use my old ferrules with the current repro lines I got from Rutland's.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Pied-Noir

Post by Pied-Noir »

Exactly what I needed. Gentlemen, I thank you both for your responses. Great help.
And now, that's when the fun starts!
Yves
enio45

Post by enio45 »

If anyone uses a sealant for the fuel or oil lines, can you recommend a type and number or brand and number pls?

Im in the process now of redoing my lines, the fittings and new ferrels are out to be cad plated, so i have a few weeks before the assembly starts. Id like to use a small amount os sealant for preventitive measure.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Pied-Noir

Post by Pied-Noir »

Ed,

Over the years, I have always used on all my cars Permatex, Aviation, Form-A-Gasket (Sealant Liquid), Part No 3 H, Item Number 80019, comes in a 4 fl. oz. can. Now, I have had this can for "quite a few years" and I have not been on the market to see if the product is still available or if it is, if it has been reformulated. It has worked for me very well for all fuel seals. Most likely, there could be on the market "new stuff" that works just as well or maybe better, I don't know; but I do recall reading somewhere (here, I think), that someone was using a product made for fuel application by Wurth called DP 300.

While I was searching in the archives for the fuel line sizes (my initial posting), I found that someone was using NAPA RTV sealant for oil lines and someone else Loctite 518.

Hope this is of some help.

Yves
zac

Post by zac »

Hi Ed,

Most of the guys I've talked to have switched to JB Weld for the sealant on the fuel lines. Not that I am a proponent of gluing the lines together but with the previous generation of fuel line and the modern fuels with all the alcohol/additives it was the only way to get them to seal. I have built a couple cars with the new hose that came in sometime at the end of '08 and it is much better quality, they went together a lot better and the fuel is not weeping out like the other stuff. There is some old hose out there that actually weeps a brown carmel like stuff from the whole length of the hose and its still flammable so if you see that stuff on your car get it out of there, I would rather have some ugly black rubber fuel lines on my car than have it catch fire.

On the oil lines I have always used a little Permetex aviation gasket sealer, the stuff has never let me down on oil or water so I stick with it. Just be super careful on the line to the oil pressure gauge, just the slightest amount of any sealer will clog the orifice and cause the gauge to read little or no oil pressure. There is also the white anaerobic sealer that most modern car manufacturers use now, seams to work good on gaskets but I have not used it on the oil/fuel lines.

As a side note you can buy the new ferrels from McMaster Carr in brass and they plate up just fine, don't remember which size but one is a little longer than the original so I just cut a bunch down at once and plate them.

Just an opinion but if it were my car and I didn't care about cars shows I would save the money on these over priced lines and just run some Aeroquip stuff, ever since the first time I saw these ferrari lines I have never been 100% confident in them. I am sure they were state of the art in the 50's-60's but there have been some serious evolutions in fuel line systems since than, not to mention that the Aeroquip stuff and Earl's stuff is manufactured with modern fuels in mind.

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
tyang

Post by tyang »

I use the aviation gasket sealer from Permatex at Francois', but I've used a teflon gasket sealer (looks like white pipe dope) at another shop.

The way you can tell if you have the yellow hose that weeps the brown stuff that Zac describes is if the yellow wrapping of the hose is a dull yellow, and not a shiny yellow plastic, watch out for the oozing at the seams.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

zac wrote:Hi Ed,
As a side note you can buy the new ferrels from McMaster Carr in brass and they plate up just fine, don't remember which size but one is a little longer than the original so I just cut a bunch down at once and plate them.
Zac
Following Zac's lead, I bought my ferrules from MC. I ordered 5349K48 for the 6mm oil lines, 5349K53 for the 8mm fuel lines and 5349K56 for the 10mm ones. They all fit tight and should work fine on the repro hoses I got from Rutlands. As Zac mentioned, the ones for the fuel lines are too long and need to be shortened to look correct. They come in bags of 50 (oil line) or 25 for the fuel lines, so if anybody needs some, PM me.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Here the instructions to do it right,
It a translation in my mothers tonque(dutch), but that will be no problem for you all.
Maybe Rudy can translate he has Dutch-roots I think.
C.
Attachments
IMG_2793.jpg
IMG_2793.jpg (36.52 KiB) Viewed 31874 times
enio45

Post by enio45 »

OK great info guys.....i like the JB weld and the aircraft sealer approach....

I have my collers out for cad plating so as soon as they get back ill start the assembly of the lines and post a few pics.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS