Radiator fans

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Radiator fans

Post by 365 »

I would like to replace the radiator fans for more efficients type. Have somebody done that and where did you buy it.
365 GT 2+2 Euroversion
tyang

Re: Radiator fans

Post by tyang »

It's really a matter of measuring how much room you have for an aftermarket fan. Try to fit a fan that covers the largest area of the radiator. I've had pretty good success with Flex-o-lite, but there are many manufacturers available. look at Summitracing.com and you'll find a large selection.

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053

Post by 8339 »

I concur with Tom on the Flexlite fans. I have installed them on vintage Ferraris including my own 330GT with a dual fan set up as pusher fans. When installed they are well hidden and work very efficiently. Make sure you use external accessory relays to operate so you don't overload the present system.

Richard Garre
Radcliffe Motorcar Co.
Yale

Post by Yale »

I installed a double Ken Lowe on my 330GT which has to contend with NYC traffic, and does!
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
jcwconsult

Post by jcwconsult »

I have a set of twin fans in a frame that were in my 365 when I bought it. I have returned to using the correct HUGE twin fans that were stock on the US version. This non-stock set was noisy but cooled well. They would need new relays. PM me for details if you are interested and I would accept modest money for them.
Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Hi Jim,

My Euro Queen also had trouble keeping up with the heat generated by the engine on moderately hot days. I solved the problem without outwardly affecting originality. The key word is outwardly. I wired the fans through relays directly to the terminal block on the left fender well near the alternator and used the original fan power wires from inside the car to simply switch the two relays hidden in front of the splash shields just behind the headlights. The large guage wires with fusible links to protect the circuit provides alternator output voltage directly to the fans without the losses of long wires to the inside of the car and lots of connections. They ran noticeably faster. I also wired a temp switch bypass through the Emergency Flasher switch (far right on the instrument panel) which is not used on the European models. When I got in city traffic, I turned them on manually, although it was no longer necessary. I can provide wiring diagrams if you wish. It's pretty easy and not detectable withoud searching for differences.

Last August, it kept the temp under control beautifully, even with the original three-blade magnesium fans.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
jcwconsult

Post by jcwconsult »

That was a clever solution, Tom. With my US model Queen, the issue was that the former owner had removed the massive fan motors that more resemble starter motors in power and size, and replaced them with the aftermarket twin fans in the slim frame. I think he had problems finding the special plastic fan blades that were likely damaged at some point. Through Zac, I got access to replacement blades, has the motors checked and dynamically balanced, and reinstalled the original US version fans with their massive motors designed to cope with traffic jams in LA and Las Vegas - powered by the twin alternators. The setup works just fine.
Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Lesson learned... the little sugar cube sized relays aren't that dependable. I got an old fashioned Ford horn relay after the sugar cube failed prematurely. On the other hand, too heavy duty of a rely would tax the thermocouple in the temp sensor.

john
PF Coupe